• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Should captain pay top out at 150K?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
......Coming from a C-150 driver. Maybe when you start flying professionally and understand the responsibility, accountability and experience required from years of work you will understand why our profession should be compensated appropriately. Why does a neurosurgeon make more than a GP? Why does a partner at a law firm make more than an associate? Answer those and you might start to understand. I don't think anyone is saying a capt should make $1 million or anywhere close to it. I think most captains would be happy making around $200K, have good work rules and treated respectfully by management.

One big flaw in your comparison.... portability of income.

I don't agree with JoeMerchant about a lot of things, especially RJDC stuff.... BUT.... maybe you can answer this:

I have 5300TT, 10 years of professional flying (getting paid to fly and not including training), 3 type ratings, 121 (passenger) and 135 (both VIP and cargo) captain experience, ETOPS (Hawaii/West Coast/South and Central Pacific) and domestic (US/Canada/Mexico/Alaska/Carribean) experience. My salary at my previous job was $94.14/hour (10% paycut included - should have been $103/hour)

Unfortunately, my airline went under, and I have to look for another job.

Why is my experience now worth the same as that of someone coming fresh out of ALL ATPS just having completed their commercial multi ticket, Regional Jet Standards course, and 250 hours total time?

OK, so I'm using regionals as an example because a few are still hiring, but OK.. let's use same equipment I flew at my old carrier - B737NG. Does my experience not matter? Why do I have to take $60+/hour paycut to fly the same equipment? Why do I have to leave this country in order to make the same amount of money flying the same equipment I was flying before my airline went under?

I'd really like to know...

Last edited:
Do you street race your bike?? I got mine up to 155 MPH last weekend, left them in the dust.

Street racing? Not only are you spineless, you're a reckless idiot with no business commanding an aircraft. I hope you end up as a stain on the pavement before you kill someone else.

Street racing? Not only are you spineless, you're a reckless idiot with no business commanding an aircraft. I hope you end up as a stain on the pavement before you kill someone else.

Street racing is hardly dangerous if you do it right, wear a helmet, two beer limit and only on roads with little or no traffic. Its fun to test the limits of your bike and nerves.

As far as me ending up as a stain thats a bit much. Grow up.

Instructor dude is totally flamerbating but I have a funny story that actually applies.

I too went through the motorcycle phase in my 20's and we all bought crotchrockets with my flying buddies. I got on the turnpike one night and decided that i would open it up. Got it up to 165mph but couldnt read the speedo past 150.. Slowed down drove home the rest of the way at 55 woke up the next day went out to the garage took one look at it and sold it a week later. Sadly the guy thta bought it from me ended up getting killed on it. ( Got Drunk and hit a tree)

Grew up on dirt bikes and three wheelers ( Had a Honda Big Red !!! Yes it would float if you hung off the back of it) but never did the streetbike thing.

Put 2400 miles on it and got it out of my system.. Lucky? Yes Alive ? Yes

Last edited:
Street racing is hardly dangerous if you do it right, wear a helmet, two beer limit and only on roads with little or no traffic. Its fun to test the limits of your bike and nerves.

As far as me ending up as a stain thats a bit much. Grow up.

Ok, now I know that you're simply flame baiting. You think that you're simply entertaining yourself by playing like you're an idiot in your online alter ego. The ironic thing is that the real you is an idiot. Get a girlfriend.

Last edited:
One big flaw in your comparison.... portability of income.

I don't agree with JoeMerchant about a lot of things, especially RJDC stuff.... BUT.... maybe you can answer this:

I have 5300TT, 10 years of professional flying (getting paid to fly and not including training), 3 type ratings, 121 (passenger) and 135 (both VIP and cargo) captain experience, ETOPS (Hawaii/West Coast/South and Central Pacific) and domestic (US/Canada/Mexico/Alaska/Carribean) experience. My salary at my previous job was $94.14/hour (10% paycut included - should have been $103/hour)

Unfortunately, my airline went under, and I have to look for another job.

Why is my experience now worth the same as that of someone coming fresh out of ALL ATPS just having completed their commercial multi ticket, Regional Jet Standards course, and 250 hours total time?

OK, so I'm using regionals as an example because a few are still hiring, but OK.. let's use same equipment I flew at my old carrier - B737NG. Does my experience not matter? Why do I have to take $60+/hour paycut to fly the same equipment? Why do I have to leave this country in order to make the same amount of money flying the same equipment I was flying before my airline went under?

I'd really like to know...

With all that experience you need me to answer this for you? I think you know.

Even I think Instructor dude is crazy. I'm just saying that capts that think they deserve 300k are nuts. We even have some at UPS that brag about making 400k. Given the supply of pilots there is no way we should be making that.

Good for them. If they want to work the system to make 400K, more power to them. So you think they're overpaid? What about some of the actors making crappy movies pulling in millions?

You sure you're not management?

Latest resources

Back