• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Should captain pay top out at 150K?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think that a 777 or comparable CA should make no less than 270K-330K a year.
A 320 or 737 CA should be making 220K a year.
A 757/767 CA should be making 250K
A second year narrow body FO should be making over 125K a year.
12 Year guy 180-200K a year
An RJ CA should be making over 130K a year.
A new hire RJ FO should be making 40K

How is that. I would like more but I think that is reasonable.

I think a captain should make $2 per seat per hour. I think a first officer should make $1 per seat per hour. I don't think there should be longevity. I think everyone should get paid based on the maximum number of seats the aircraft is certified for. You can do the math if you want. I think this should apply from the Beech 1900's all the way up to the 747-400's or A380's. This would also allow pilots to "start over" at another company.

ring up the bird--
what's the point of telling us that we don't think we should be paid more? why say that?

hockeypilot- well said!

Hell, why stop at $250 or $300? I deserve $500,000. Who the hell cares if the market forces have shown that my peers will work for $60,000 and just b*itch about it a little? Why do pilots in peru make more than you? How about UAE? Maybe because nobody with the skills required wants to live there, so they have to offer more money? Couldn't be market forces in action. If 4,000 of you send your applications there all at once, they may figure out they can pay less, too. I know you'll tell me how stupid I am that I believe in capitalism and market forces. I can overcome those by forcing my company to pay me more until they go bankrupt again because they cannot compete in this market. Then I'll have to change to a different airline and start over at the bottom. Sounds like a great industry to work in.

................. I can overcome those by forcing my company to pay me more until they go bankrupt again because they cannot compete in this market. Then I'll have to change to a different airline and start over at the bottom. Sounds like a great industry to work in.

I find it funny. The price of new airplanes has gone up. Terminal rent goes up. The price of a new tug goes up. CEO pay has gone way up. Hell, the price of fuel freaking DOUBLED in less than a year. Yet, when we all start talking about getting pay raises, THAT is what is going to bankrupt the company. Yes, THAT is the thing that puts the company over the edge.

I agree. I think that the company can afford to pay us more, but it is a lot easier not to.
The less they pay the employees the more wiggle room they have on everything else.
I want to see more money!

I agree. I think that the company can afford to pay us more, but it is a lot easier not to.
The less they pay the employees the more wiggle room they have on everything else.
I want to see more money!

I don't know. Things are tough these days. The airlines, I hear, have called their insurance companies and said times are tough so we are only going to pay half the premium for the full policy. CEOS and top management have given back most of their pay and stock options. They also called Ford and Harrison and said they are only paying 1/3 of the asking rate. This also happened with the caterers, airport landing fees, deicing fluid, and terminal fees....all the airlines are going to pay them less than asking price for the full service. The govt is being tough about the security fees but I think the airlines will win in the end. Times are tough out there so just like everyone else, we greedy pilots need to dig into our pockets and take a big pay cut to keep our airlines solvent. They are all depending on us! Who's with me?

I don't know. Things are tough these days. The airlines, I hear, have called their insurance companies and said times are tough so we are only going to pay half the premium for the full policy. CEOS and top management have given back most of their pay and stock options. They also called Ford and Harrison and said they are only paying 1/3 of the asking rate. This also happened with the caterers, airport landing fees, deicing fluid, and terminal fees....all the airlines are going to pay them less than asking price for the full service. The govt is being tough about the security fees but I think the airlines will win in the end. Times are tough out there so just like everyone else, we greedy pilots need to dig into our pockets and take a big pay cut to keep our airlines solvent. They are all depending on us! Who's with me?
That makes me sick. We have given enough.

With supply and demand being what it is, you're lucky to make more than a school teacher. Look at the demand for them vs. their pay. Then, look nurses and what they're paid and the demand for them. Now look at which have unions demanding "fair" compensation.

Now, step back and look at the supply/demand curve for pilots in the states. I know most probably were educated in public schools in the US. That's why you think the way you do.

Stop thinking you're entitled to anything 'cause you're not.

Latest resources

Back