• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Should captain pay top out at 150K?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
InstructorDude and the other person are truly ignorant. Only in the airline profession will you find goofballs even discussing what we "should" earn or what a company "can afford". Completely ridiculous. My friends in other professions such as law, medicine, etc. never would discuss they shouldn't earn more than X. As far as experience, I have friends who hired on with law firms starting at $165K with 3 years training - law school. They never went to the firm and said it's too much. Ignorant people such as these denigrate the profession. Airline pilots have significant training and responsibility comparable to other highly skilled professions, yet only we have goofballs that would suggest caps on earning or think they're qualified to suggest what we "should" earn.

i used to be employed at a white shoe law firm where they paid first year associates a comparable salary plus a year-end bonus. So they're looking at well over 200K for their first year. Great pay.

However, not only do you need excellent undrgrad grades, but only the top 5 and 10% of Ivy League law school graduates are hired. If you're not top of your class, see-ya. You're also expected to have a diverse background in academic and social accolades. Many have the pedigree and were silver spoon types. These type of large corporate firms expect a very long work week. 6-7 12+ hour days every week. Theres a lot of pressure to meet deadlines and bill heavily. Every associcate is EXPECTED to bill a a minimum amount per year.

Most of these associates are living in the firm with little social life. For those who dont have trust funds and wealthy parents, a lot this 6 figure salary goes towards paying back HUGE undergrad and law school loans.

Yeah, these places are fantastic to work at. You're catered to highly and the benefits are great. Bright smart people, very long food chain, classy and professional. Lots of marble walls, floors and niceties. But no matter how fancy and prestigious it may appear, most move one laterally within 3-4 years. As most dont make partnership (not expected), they move on to other attorney postions or leave the field altogether once they've paid off their loans.

The point is, as an attorney making on "paper" close to 200K doesn't mean this individual is happy or satisfied. Theyre away from loved ones often and have a ton of work to deal with after hours.

Trust me. Flying a CRJ, Boeing or Airbus is much more fun and rewarding than beingstuck in front of a stuffy conservative office.

Last edited:
I know my sis is in one of those offices and hates the hours that she put in. But she will retire at 50 the way she is going...

I know my sis is in one of those offices and hates the hours that she put in. But she will retire at 50 the way she is going...

Life's too short to work and hate the time your at work.....I set the brake for the last time on my ATR today after 14 years and 10,000 hours....and had a tear in my eye as I walked away.....I wouldn't trade those 10,000 hours for any high paying job in an office.....

We have unique problems in this industry....many of our own doing...

1. We love what we do....well most of us...

2. We can't transport our experience across company lines...I'm not going to start over again....not going to happen...I like having holidays off and lots of vacation...

3. Too easy to get the job....barriers to entry are too low! AMA and ABA understood this and made it difficult to get the credentials.....ALPA rolls over on the MPL issue.

4. We created a system where we compete with one another for flying within a brand.....no other union does that.....Doesn't make much sense....

Latest resources

Back