• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Should captain pay top out at 150K?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And you guys all wonder why public opinion of airline pilots is so low. Bunch of cry babies ONLY making 107K/year. Get real. Wow am I glad I got out (and why my old man hates his job so much). 30 years at a major, and he can't wait to retire. If only you could hear how the old guys talk about you.

sig its okay dont take offense you live a life where YOU are #1 with your " Garage Full Of Motorcycles "

Thats great and I encourage you to enjoy your situation as long as you desire because some day when you meet that certain person and she drops a few kids out you will look back on your posts and realize that you were totally absorbed and inmature.

That is not an insult we have all gone through it and I know all you can do is read a post and relate it to your own situation and draw a conclusion. It wasnt to long ago that I was in my mid 20's single, captain, new car every year, numerous hotties, living the life..

The majority of men out there wake up one day and realize that they have gone from number 1 to somewhere below number 4 on the family sen list.

It will happen and your outlook will become future oriented and not what color bike do i ride to the base today oriented...

Been there done that got over myself and have three kids and a wife to support for the next 18 years..

And you guys all wonder why public opinion of airline pilots is so low. Bunch of cry babies ONLY making 107K/year. Get real. Wow am I glad I got out (and why my old man hates his job so much). 30 years at a major, and he can't wait to retire. If only you could hear how the old guys talk about you.

you're not the only one who is glad you got out. Please don't ever come back...

Gonna be playing volleyball with all the sweaty guys, Mav? Don't forget to shower.

If only you could hear how us in the AF talk about guys like you hotshot. I would suggest you leave this thread.

I'll admit I didn't read this entire thread, so I'll pose this question: If 150K is not enough, what would be adequate compensation? Someone pointed out that adjusted for inflation, early 1970's pay would equate to about 750K. Is that what the average pilot should be making?

Just asking...

I'll admit I didn't read this entire thread, so I'll pose this question: If 150K is not enough, what would be adequate compensation? Someone pointed out that adjusted for inflation, early 1970's pay would equate to about 750K. Is that what the average pilot should be making?

Just asking...

That's whats really funny, but I digress.

And just in case you're wondering, I have a nice house, a garage full of motorcycles, and I'm single. Having way to much fun as a single fighter pilot in my late 20's to be married. Nice shots though. For a 6th grader.

I can relate my fellow bro. I got a motorcycle, nice condo and am single and crazy with the ladies.

Do you street race your bike?? I got mine up to 155 MPH last weekend, left them in the dust.

Even I think Instructor dude is crazy. I'm just saying that capts that think they deserve 300k are nuts. We even have some at UPS that brag about making 400k. Given the supply of pilots there is no way we should be making that.

Given the supply of 2 bit wannabe Hollywood actors and actresses and wannabe reality stars, which most people could pull off without a problem, I suppose we need to bring their pay into line as well. I mean come on millions to pretend you are someone else while being filmed...HAHAHHA!! Talk about entitlement and chutzpah!

Come on. All I'm saying is that we all know flying is a cake job. Making $150k/year is borderline theivery. My dog could turn on an autopilot.

Besides, other than wowing people with all the dials and guages, we all know the job is pretty simple. With less than a year of training, you might be able to teach a neurosurgeon how to fly the Concorde. With a year of training a pilot couldn't even give a rectal exam.

I disagree with this ridiculous post. Flying might be cake most of the time because most airline pilots have done it for years and years and have lots of experience. But the pay is for when the @#$% hits the fan. (emergencies)

You may be surprised... I would bet that after a year of on the job training, a pilot could perform some surgeries. Those surgeons aren't gods. Yeah, lots of education and experience, etc, but I don't see how it could be much different. Regardless, thats not really the point. Would the public like a 1 year experienced pilot flying their airliner? Didn't think so. (That airline would go out of business pretty fast or there would be a mishap.) Just like they wouldn't like a 1 year trained surgeon operating on them.

You CHOOSE to have a mortgage on what I hope is a $300,000 house.

You CHOOSE to carry two car payments

I can't believe now one has called you out on this. $300,000 is crap for a home. Ask a NYC based pilot who doesn't want to drive 4 hours roundtrip to and from NYC 4 to 12 times a month depending on schedule, and lives in 1 of the five boroughs of NYC. $300,000 gets you a dump. Are you saying because we CHOOSE to be airline pilots we must live in below average homes? Or drive 4 hours roundtrip to work? Doesn't an airline pilot deserve to live in a slightly better than average home and neighborhood in the city he works in? After all, we aren't cleaning toilets for a living, although RJ FO's are paid roughly the same.

And as for the cars, a minivan for the wife and kids that is reliable and allows you to have the peace of mind that they are not going to be broken down in the dump of a neighborhood you have to live in due to our pay. And a 4 year old Accord for yourself, to drive to work in, far from a luxury vehicle, seems reasonable. We also nned something very reliable. It's not like we have a normal job in which you can call work and tell them you will be late today. No, with us there is hell to pay, and we have to go do a carpet dance in front of CP like little school children, because management treats us like children, who are expected to live their lives for the company.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back