Should captain pay top out at 150K?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tone down your life...

Are you kidding?? What should he do, trade in the mini van for a rickshaw? Maybe move out of the house and into a trailer? I think you are a flamebaiter....Perfect post clickclickboom. 100k is no longer good money...It is sufficient to get by but you're not going to get ahead...

1400 dollars for a college fund? Every heard of a Community College or better yet how about they can pay for it on there own.

1400 dollars for a college fund? Every heard of a Community College or better yet how about they can pay for it on there own.

You wouldn't know anything about college if it came up and slapped you in the face, instructortool!

$1400 Children Education Fund ( Currently it costs $700 per month from birth per child to pay room and board and misc average college expenses to send to state school in 18 years)

700 per month for 18 years? Thats 151,200 (assuming no interest appreciation) dollars. What kinda state school do you expect to send them?

You're right....

Paying for my flight training AND yours does make me cry....

Again, cry me a *************************g river. 15 years of flying, 6 in the military. Towed banners in college, CFI'd for 5 years, charter, corporate part 91, regionals, etc. I payed my dues (and tuition). No one ever kept you from taking the military route. I pay taxes as well, $14,000 so far this year on my income alone.

Keep walkin up hill in the snow both ways and feeling sorry for yourself. Got any more arguments you care to lose (and have no educated opinion of)?

Part of the reason pilot pay is so low is that there's always some jerkoff comparing airline pay to some non-linear barometer. I've met your ilk before:

Newbie McPencilneck: "Geez, this job is swell! We get to sleep in real beds and no one's shooting at us! I can't believe they're paying me for this!"

Ty: "That's not really a valid point of reference. This job is what you suffered all those years for. You don't want to spend the rest of your life in sh!tholes and flying for dog biscuits".

Newbie: :blush:

So, while I appreciate your military service, let me buy you a nice big warm cup of STFU, fool.

Ty

Why don't you read the whole post before you open your mouth and insert your foot.

My point was simply, if someone can't survive on $107K/year with a wife and three kids, while I've got 22 year olds that can do it on 1/3rd of that, he needs to reevaluate.

Way to jump to conclusions though and make yourself look like an ass.

You left out one important aspect:

Federal and State Taxes, Medicare etc etc etc..

$8916 while wishful thinking ends up at

$5700 per month including withdrawl for 10% 401K

Subtract the following monthly

$2117 Mortgage ( avg mort in usa is $1600)
$150 Taxes ( usa average)
$175 Insurance ( usa average)
$500 Utilities et al
$1400 Children Education Fund ( Currently it costs $700 per month from birth per child to pay room and board and misc average college expenses to send to state school in 18 years)
$679 2 car payments ( 4yr old minivan and 05 accord
$115 car insurance
$250 gas
$250 misc house mx

TOTAL $5636

AM I OUT OF LINE TO SAVE FOR MY CHILDRENS EDUCATION SO I DONT NEED TO GO $350,000 in debt? If you answered yes subtract the $1400 save nothing and have a $1464 monthly surplus remaining.

I think most will agree that those expenses are REASONABLE and indicative of many families. There is NO money figured in for Holidays, Vacation, Taking the wife out once a month etc etc..

We eat home every night by the way and do low or no cost family events ( park, hiking, bike rides, sports, fishing, camping) no disney or atlantis sorry

You CHOOSE to put away a ridiculous amount for college fund.

You CHOOSE to have a mortgage on what I hope is a $300,000 house.

You CHOOSE to carry two car payments and have some outrageous utility bills. I remember growing up with my dad as an airline pilot making ******************** at Republic, we were a one car family.

You're not starving on $107K/year, and if you can't survive on that, again, you've got priority issues. It can be done, there are luxuries you seem to deem as priority.

Last edited:
You CHOOSE to put away a ridiculous amount for college fund.

You CHOOSE to have a mortgage on what I hope is a $300,000 house.

You CHOOSE to carry two car payments and have some outrageous utility bills. I remember growing up with my dad as an airline pilot making ******************** at Republic, we were a one car family.

You're not starving on $107K/year, and if you can't survive on that, again, you've got priority issues. It can be done, there are luxuries you seem to deem as priority.

You choose to be an idiot . . . . I don't. Unfortunately, with pukes like you willing to settle for less, we all have an uphill battle.

YOU CHOOSE to do my job for less

YOU CHOOSE to be a doormat

YOU CHOOSE to live in a dumpster

YOU CHOOSE to send your kids to crappy schools

YOU CHOOSE to be at the bottom of your profession

YOU CHOOSE to be a fool.

I CHOOSE not to argue with you.

You're willing to do my job for 50% less, apparently. How nice for you. Have a nice day . . . don't tip the van driver, you're over your monthly budget, and your wife is out of tampons.

Well, at least she never has to buy d0uchebags, she's married to one . . . so you've got that going for you :rolleyes:

Last edited:
"Well, at least she never has to buy d0uchebags, she's married to one . . . so you've got that going for you :rolleyes:"........

Thanks Ty... spit coffee all over my key board

Here are the real numbers which are TUITION ONLY, no room, board, books, food or expenses. Keep in mind that the average college student can only make $3000-$4000 per year.

STATE SCHOOL USING AVERAGE STATE TUITION Cost and 6.3% Current College Inflation rate

[FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]College Type:[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]4 Year[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]Current One-Year Costs:[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]$10,647.00 [/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]Tuition Inflation Rate: [/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]6.30%[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]Years to Enrollment:[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]18 years[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]Adjust after Matriculation:[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]yes[/FONT]
[FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]First Year Projected Costs:[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]$31,976.14[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]Second Year Projected Costs:[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]$33,990.64[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]Third Year Projected Costs:[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]$36,132.05[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]Fourth Year Projected Costs:[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]$38,408.36[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]
spacer.gif
[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]Total Projected Costs:[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]$140,507.18[/FONT]

AND FOR THE SCARY PART. AVERAGE TUITION FOR PRIVATE COLLEGES TUITION ONLY using he average from money magazine and using the current college cost inflation rate of 6.3%

[FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]College Type:[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]4 Year[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]Current One-Year Costs:[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]$30,367.00 [/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]Tuition Inflation Rate: [/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]6.30%[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]Years to Enrollment:[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]18 years[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]Adjust after Matriculation:[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]yes[/FONT]
[FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]First Year Projected Costs:[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]$91,201.22[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]Second Year Projected Costs:[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]$96,946.90[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]Third Year Projected Costs:[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]$103,054.55[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]Fourth Year Projected Costs:[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]$109,546.99[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]
spacer.gif
[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]Total Projected Costs:[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]$400,749.66[/FONT]

Are all of our kids going to get full rides to college? Doubtful

Latest resources

Back