• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Shot at a legacy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is probably the most important aspect of getting an airline job. You burn the wrong bridge, it does not matter how many think you are a great guy at an airline, piss off the wrong person and you are done. No kidding.

For a US legacy, Yes, try not to piss anyone off locally, but thanks to the global pilot shortage, there will be jobs available all over the globe, and people in the ME don't care who you pissed off at your Guard unit 15 years ago. The jobs are out there, you just have to open your mind. The big deal is not to have any FAA problems. Those are harder to explain.

Bye Bye---General Lee

For a US legacy, Yes, try not to piss anyone off locally, but thanks to the global pilot shortage, there will be jobs available all over the globe, and people in the ME don't care who you pissed off at your Guard unit 15 years ago. The jobs are out there, you just have to open your mind. The big deal is not to have any FAA problems. Those are harder to explain.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Are you freakin serious! Your advice is don't worry about pissing anyone off if your dream is to commute to China?

Oh lord you are way off your meds now. Don't listen to anything this guy gives as "advice".:uzi:

Are you freakin serious! Your advice is don't worry about pissing anyone off if your dream is to commute to China?

Oh lord you are way off your meds now. Don't listen to anything this guy gives as "advice".:uzi:

There you go again, only thinking locally. It's what you guys do. Anyway, I never said make people mad, but rather there are OPTIONS outside of the Corndog, which is now even more obvious because of your certain stagnation coming up here. My point is that if you do accidentally make someone mad, and somehow that follows you around here, you can go elsewhere. If you commute to China, then that is YOUR fault. Only you would come up with that, primarily because you fly intra Texas all the time and you don't know anything else probably.

Bye Bye---General Lee

There you go again, only thinking locally. It's what you guys do. Anyway, I never said make people mad, but rather there are OPTIONS outside of the Corndog, which is now even more obvious because of your certain stagnation coming up here. My point is that if you do accidentally make someone mad, and somehow that follows you around here, you can go elsewhere. If you commute to China, then that is YOUR fault. Only you would come up with that, primarily because you fly intra Texas all the time and you don't know anything else probably.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Seriously. You have a major comprehension problem. And you just can't help but to bring out the SWA hate every annoying time.

We all know you are not strong enough to handle our kind of flying.

I have recently learned some things about the decision process at both Hawaiian and Alaska. One thing that has happened in the last 5 years is that the HR departments at both respective airlines have gained an even stronger hold on the hiring process. Aside from the degree, time mins, already mentioned here, both of these airlines like to see VOLUNTEER/COMMUNITY SERVICE time. There are hundreds if not thousands of pilots applying out there right now with 5,000 hours JET with 2,000 PIC jet, so now they have to differentiate, and the high scorer right now is volunter/community service.

1. Network
2. Network
3. Network
4. Get the 1000 TPIC in whatever airplane pays you more and allows you to be home more.

I don't think that there's any magical experience formula.

I'd place networking higher than anything else. Letters of rec move your paperwork into the view of recruiters faster than any magical formula.

Look at joining a Guard/Reserve unit and working into a pilot training slot. Most Guard/Reserve units are full of airline pilots.

And don't be a dooshbag. Aviation is a much smaller business than people think. I run into people I know from 25 years ago on a regular basis.

1900 PIC versus Lear PIC. Whoever is less of a db wins. Flying is easy. You can't teach how to not be a db.

I don't think that there's any magical experience formula.

I'd place networking higher than anything else. Letters of rec move your paperwork into the view of recruiters faster than any magical formula.

Look at joining a Guard/Reserve unit and working into a pilot training slot. Most Guard/Reserve units are full of airline pilots.

And don't be a dooshbag. Aviation is a much smaller business than people think. I run into people I know from 25 years ago on a regular basis.

Very well said.

I have recently learned some things about the decision process at both Hawaiian and Alaska. One thing that has happened in the last 5 years is that the HR departments at both respective airlines have gained an even stronger hold on the hiring process. Aside from the degree, time mins, already mentioned here, both of these airlines like to see VOLUNTEER/COMMUNITY SERVICE time. There are hundreds if not thousands of pilots applying out there right now with 5,000 hours JET with 2,000 PIC jet, so now they have to differentiate, and the high scorer right now is volunter/community service.

Also very well said.
HA has hired a lot and is gearing up to hire even more. I know for a fact they are hiring from all different background scenarios intentionally. Ex ALPA pilots who have lost their job, ex military, RJ pilots (some who are ex FO's, not all are ex Captains, most are though) locals with recs and some with no recs who lucked out on timing, a lot of guys from Asian carriers, etc.
I fly with these pilots, HA has hired a lot of really good people that are very good pilots. That said, they have been unable to hire all the good one's and many were turned down the first time but didn't give up.
It's a crap shoot, if you don't give up the more likely you are to win.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back