• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Shot at a legacy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Get the turbine PIC however it comes, and network. I doubt it will matter in the long run where the PIC comes from as long as you meet the minimums, after that it's all about connections.
If it came down to 1900 vs Lear time, I'd go with the one that was a better fit for my situation, base wise, pay, schedule, etc... Either one would work.

You need (and not in any particular order):

1. 1,000 Turbine PIC.
2. To network (you'd be surprised how many old "acquaintances" are willing to help you out by spending 5 minutes composing an email.) This includes job fairs.
3. Be lucky.
4. Be perseverant.

It's been my experience that 1,000hrs in the right seat of a 747 is less impressive that the same number of hours in a left seat of a 1900 -- to legacy recruiters (may not be the case for non-sked 747 operators.)

Definately turbine PIC and fly the thing, do not be an autopilot operator. A couple of the CAL check airman I have run across have commented on newhires with great automation skills but not great hand flying skills. Oh and have a degree.

Majors guys:

Does a pilot stand a better chance getting to a legacy/major:

1. 1000 PIC on a 1900
2. 1000 PIC on a 135 Learjet
3. 2000 hours SIC in an RJ (because rj captains are sitting tight)

Thanks,

Check Six

There has been many good opinions shared already. You can tell that there is not a magic way to get a legacy flying job.

It is really difficult to say what the magic numbers are going to be once the majors start hiring again. But there are plenty of RJ pilots out there to easily fill the void majors will be having with this next hiring cycle. Given the timing of things I would think the time to build 1000 hrs TPIC time, instead of getting hired at a regional may be a waste of valuable time.

I would try and get on a regional that suits your needs and just ride the the upcoming wave. I predict the regional airlines are going to be direct feeds to the majors for many years to come.

Supply and demand has always been the controlling factor in what the average qualifications are needed to get any flying job.

Thats one possibility... Here is another. There are indeed thousands of equally well qualified RJ pilots who will be seeking employment at the majors. The downside is that all of their resumes will be similar. That 135 pilot or DC3 pilot or nonsked pilot may stand out a little more among the sea of blue suits and red ties. Who knows? Perhaps the customer service experience that a 135 pilot must master might make him (or her) stand out among the competition.

Just playing devils advocate.

You need (and not in any particular order):

1. 1,000 Turbine PIC.
2. To network (you'd be surprised how many old "acquaintances" are willing to help you out by spending 5 minutes composing an email.) This includes job fairs.
3. Be lucky.
4. Be perseverant.

It's been my experience that 1,000hrs in the right seat of a 747 is less impressive that the same number of hours in a left seat of a 1900 -- to legacy recruiters (may not be the case for non-sked 747 operators.)

What he said - Get your 1000 hours 121 PIC Turbine. Network for a 2nd tier Cargo gig flying wide body international. Spend some time accumulating the heavy international time. After a year or two there you'll have;

1. Wide body type rating
2. International experience
3. Hours in a jet, and
4. 121 Turbine PIC.

(if you don't get furloughed or go insane)

There has been many good opinions shared already. You can tell that there is not a magic way to get a legacy flying job.

It is really difficult to say what the magic numbers are going to be once the majors start hiring again. But there are plenty of RJ pilots out there to easily fill the void majors will be having with this next hiring cycle. Given the timing of things I would think the time to build 1000 hrs TPIC time, instead of getting hired at a regional may be a waste of valuable time.

I would try and get on a regional that suits your needs and just ride the the upcoming wave. I predict the regional airlines are going to be direct feeds to the majors for many years to come.

Supply and demand has always been the controlling factor in what the average qualifications are needed to get any flying job.

+1

With this lull in hiring the past 5 plus years, the experience level of the RJ pilots are going to far out weigh 1000 PIC turbo prop and 1000 SIC heavy.

I don't think that there's any magical experience formula.

I'd place networking higher than anything else. Letters of rec move your paperwork into the view of recruiters faster than any magical formula.

Look at joining a Guard/Reserve unit and working into a pilot training slot. Most Guard/Reserve units are full of airline pilots.

And don't be a dooshbag. Aviation is a much smaller business than people think. I run into people I know from 25 years ago on a regular basis.

And don't be a dooshbag. Aviation is a much smaller business than people think. I run into people I know from 25 years ago on a regular basis.

This is probably the most important aspect of getting an airline job. You burn the wrong bridge, it does not matter how many think you are a great guy at an airline, piss off the wrong person and you are done. No kidding.

Latest resources

Back