• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Shot at a legacy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There is no problem with Gojet. Most interviewers are Captains or HR people. Most of them have no idea what other pilots think of Gojets, and they themselves have probably never heard of it. The big deal is to not get into trouble with the FAA. 1000 hrs PIC at Gojets is just as good as other PIC in the minds of most interviewers.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Focus first on networking. Networking can overcome any other shortfalls on your resume presuming you meet the basic minimums where you are applying. If you are thinking in terms of only 'where can I get TPIC?' or 'where can I get jet time?', then you are way behind the power curve. I can't emphasize the networking part of this equation enough.

I don't know about networking anymore. You're sending your app off to some company that inputs your data into a computer which then scores you based on the attributes they're looking for and then gives them a bunch of names. The fact that your neighbor used to play tetherball with a check airman at fed ex doesn't impress the computer. Unless you personally know a head honcho that can circumvent the screening process your data goes in like everyone else's. Once you do get the interview though networking can probably help.

I have recently learned some things about the decision process at both Hawaiian and Alaska. One thing that has happened in the last 5 years is that the HR departments at both respective airlines have gained an even stronger hold on the hiring process. Aside from the degree, time mins, already mentioned here, both of these airlines like to see VOLUNTEER/COMMUNITY SERVICE time. There are hundreds if not thousands of pilots applying out there right now with 5,000 hours JET with 2,000 PIC jet, so now they have to differentiate, and the high scorer right now is volunter/community service.

Just tell these HR liberals you volunteered for ACORN and you'll be in the next class.

I don't know about networking anymore. You're sending your app off to some company that inputs your data into a computer which then scores you based on the attributes they're looking for and then gives them a bunch of names. The fact that your neighbor used to play tetherball with a check airman at fed ex doesn't impress the computer. Unless you personally know a head honcho that can circumvent the screening process your data goes in like everyone else's. Once you do get the interview though networking can probably help.

That computer also awards points for internal LOR's.

I have had 11 flying jobs in my career and I would have not had any of those if I didn't know someone inside, I think.

Networking is your single best asset. And don't ever leave anything other than positive. In other words, if you make the wrong enemy, and you never know where they are going to show up, you can be toast in maybe more than one company.

Not true at Alaska. Yes you are ranked, and if you don't "score" high enough, nobody can help you, but somebody going to bat for you presuming you made a cut-off score can absolutely pull your resume off the bottom of the pile.

Suck it up get your 1000 PIC Turbine then go park yourself at a good place to wait it out. Watched many guys stay at Ameriflight or Lakes get there time while everyone was running to the regionals only to come to the regionals after them and get they legacy job before them because they could check the box. I didn't do this just got lucky being the the left seat when upgrades were quick and no one was hiring.

Chairman

flew with quite a few captains in their early 40's at Hawaiian who had nothing more than FAR 135 or 121 small turboprop PIC when hired... says a lot.

Latest resources

Back