Shoes?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dep676 said:
Well you have not seen the some of the new Doc's. They are black and have black soles too.

As far as dinging someone for wearing Doc's to an interview, that is real professional. I have seen guys on the road wearing black tennis shoes and that goes for NJ guys too.

Grow up. I suppose you were the guy that told his mom when someone called you a name in school?

If Doc Martin makes a professional shoe that looks professional, then wear it. If they have the little yellow stripe, two inch platforms and a translucent sole, then wear something else.

I want to hire professionals at Netjets and it starts with the interview. The cliche still applies, "you only get one chance to make a first impression." Prepare for the interview like you would any other professional company. I can't imagine walking into an interview at a Fortune 500 company wearing a pair of shoes with a yellow stripe, two inch platforms and a translucent sole, just not professional.

I/we do not base the entire interview on someone's appearance, I've already mentioned that. The resume is a good start but it doesn't tell the entire story, nor do the shoes. Show up looking like Joe Shiitbag and you will likely not get the job.

Spend a few bucks and look great, not like you want to fly freight.

HD

I agree with the Army guy. There are no second first impressions. Spend the bucks and look professional. You're trying to impress the guy that can hire you, not some chica.

My interview uniform is a Navy Brooks Brothers mini stripe Signature wool suit, Gold Toe over the calf socks (baggy socks look bad) with Johnston & Murphy Georgetown II captoe shoes.

I fly in Rockport Vice Consuls or Johnston & Murphy Avery Kiltie Tassel loafers (no comments please, they're cool in hot climates) in the summer and Clarks Straits during the winter.

GV

No offense to anyone that does wear them but please, can't we admit that rubber soled shoes don't look anywhere as neat, classy, etc as a leather sole? I'm no fashion freak but I can't see why you would spend $80.00 on a pair of shoes you can't shine verses $160.00 for a really nice, longer lasting pair of loafers or Oxfords from Johnston and Murphy, Macys, etc. I totally miss knocking around in my docs flying cargo but if I were running the place or if I were a paying pax I'd want to see some class in the flight crew.

As an aside, the nice pairs of shoes from the big retailers like J&M, Ferragamo, Gucci and Allen Edmonds can be resoled for like $50-$75 making them last twice as long.

Work: Foot-Joy Classics (aka "teaching shoes"). Black/black saddle. Vibram sole.

Interview/work: black Cole-Haan penny loafers.TC

I posted this on the other "shoe" thread, please excuse the duplication, but I think if you get to know these shoes, you will wear them for life.

I know they are expensive, but MEPHISTO shoes are fantastic! We wear the basic brown walking shoe that is their signature shoe, is the best shoe we have ever worn. i am quite certain it comes in black for men. You can wear them anywhere, all day, every day, for years and years. Currently they are selling for about $300 US (I said they were expensive), but 4 or 5 years from now,when the sole wears out, and the inside is all worn out, you can send them back to the factory with $60 and they will be good for another 4 or 5 years of 24/7. The factory sends them back to you and they look/feel like brand new shoes.

My husband and I have both worn ours for about 9-10 years now and love them. They help your back, and keep your feet comfortable all day.

Good Luck,

Latest resources

Back