Shiny-Jet-Syndrome: The Career Killer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BenderGonzales said:
If you truly are a freight-dog, then SJS you're likely not a victim of SJS anyway ... yet.

Don't worry Bender, he is a CHQ pilot hoping to fly 190's for 50 seat pay. Therefore he is a victim.

Don't worry Bender, he is a CHQ pilot hoping to fly 190's for 50 seat pay. Therefore he is a victim.

He is not a Victim, he is a douchebag !!!

Bdfg1 said:
I'm not a CHQ pilot--yet!!!! I'm in the pool!

Somewhere, Bender is smiling...

I think I've finally got the SJS thing figured out. It is accepting the first jet job that comes along "because it's flying a jet" with no thought of the future of a career.

I am of the opinion that it'd be far better, given my own career goals, to get PIC time in a multi piston or turboprop than it would to get SIC in a jet. Does that mean that I don't have SJS?

The "50 seat pay for the E190" issue I'll just leave alone since I don't have a dog in that fight.

Anyone want to comment on this thought process?

-Goose

Last edited:
some one needs a life..... its not a good time to be an airline pilot for anyone, but its not the fault of the 20 year olds flying jets. Its the fault of all the low cost carriers taking over, internet web sites driving down tickets and the dam fuel costs. By the way alot of the academy guys are very sharp and do very well compared to the 135/ corprate guys with 4 times the hours.

jws717 said:
some one needs a life..... its not a good time to be an airline pilot for anyone, but its not the fault of the 20 year olds flying jets. Its the fault of all the low cost carriers taking over, internet web sites driving down tickets and the dam fuel costs. By the way alot of the academy guys are very sharp and do very well compared to the 135/ corprate guys with 4 times the hours.

Perfectly stated!!!!!

Goose,

I think i'm gonna cry. You go fly that 402 in your photo for Cape Air for one winter and you'll be the ace of the base if you decide to go fly an RJ.

You'll have an appreciation for Captain's authority, you'll be a talented instrument pilot, you'll understand your value as a competent pilot and you'll be much, MUCH less likely to bite when management comes trolling for paycuts in exchange a bigger airplane.

That may not be the last time that the sweet siren song of SJS tempts you, but at least you'll be starting with a firm foundation.

Good luck! I'm proud of ya!

Latest resources

Back