Shiny-Jet-Syndrome: The Career Killer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
kngarthur said:
Why do you people act like the "new CFI" destroyed the industry? The mainline guys destroyed it by taking concessions

Actually - he is correct. The mainline guys negotiated deals to have the regional jets operated by alter ego subsidiaries.

Who allowed outsourcing?
Who controls the airline's code?
Which MEC negotiate the deals?
Which ALPA President signed the contracts and is he from a "regional?"
Which pilot group ratified the scope that sent the airplanes to the shiny jet operators?

I share your repulsion at the DCI "Academy" idea. However, we regional pilots did not create this monster. The RJDC leadership tried to stop it by merging the operationally integrated airlines - but all of that is water under the bridge now.

If some SJS sufferer writes a check to DCI they will be on the list of unsecured creditors when Delta goes Ch. 11, and even worse if they Ch. 7, which apparently is being talked about in financial circles.

~~~^~~~

FDJ2 - will you be FAIIJ3?

FDJ2 said:
Yeah we didn't want 32% of our pay, our pensions, work rules or the Delta pilot medical plan either. You nailed it ace.:rolleyes:

I'm just saying that you guys opened the floodgates... Now all the Regionals are jumping all over each other to get the things. As a buddy of mine said, "If we don't get them then Monkey Jet (Mesa) will. I'd rather they come here."

Just out of curiosity, what was "the old way" of making it to a jet or a major? Could any of you more senior pilots speak to the typical route to the big jet? In this day and age, what is the noble route to an airline career?

Were pilots as miffed back in the 60's and 70's when airlines like North Central, Mohawk, Southern, Piedmont and so on got jets (DC9-10/30, BAC 1-11)?

I tend to agree the "zero to hero" programs create SJS. In fact, last year, I dropped out of one of those programs as I felt I was only learning how to fly airplanes and pass check rides, not how to become a "pilot." Having worked with SJS victims, I should have known better than to sign on for one of those programs.

Last edited:
I think you guys blow this SJS way out of proportion, look at my avatar, they may be smiling and all thumbs up, but it's because they want their new airline to start off well, they do not have SJS.

jbDC9 said:
You really don't have a clue do you?

Oh you mean that the legacy carriers are slowly being replaced by the LLC's? While furloughed legacy pilots think they're "entitled" to a specific salary? I think you need to pull your head out of your ass, and go back to school and take a ECON 101 class. I know it would be the first real class you've ever taken.

kngarthur said:
Oh you mean that the legacy carriers are slowly being replaced by the LLC's? While furloughed legacy pilots think they're "entitled" to a specific salary? I think you need to pull your head out of your ass, and go back to school and take a ECON 101 class. I know it would be the first real class you've ever taken.

Go to bed junior

How dare we wish to sustain a livable salary and get in the way of your dreams of flying to far away, romantic destinations while wearing polyesther uniforms and attempting to bed down flight attendants.

BenderGonzales said:
How dare we wish to sustain a livable salary and get in the way of your dreams of flying to far away, romantic destinations while wearing polyesther uniforms and attempting to bed down flight attendants.

I'm sorry how selfish of me. I know it's all about you and your big salary you should be making!

Latest resources

Back