Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SHHHH this was supposed to be a secret!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Experienced at failing that is...

Fortunately the dude had access to Regional Jet Standards Certification Training and a guaranteed interview, otherwise the whole airline pilot thing might not have worked out for him.

Very true, however you have to remember these folks passed FAA Checkrides which said they were qualified for that postion.

Bottom line is you can't teach 'Common Sense'. You either have it or you don't.

You can't teach experience, either. If you look through these regional airline ASAP submissions, the trend is incidents that are caused by inexperience, i.e., aircraft operations (i.e., system/aircraft knowlwdge), runways incursions, altitude deviations, clearence deviations, etc.

The guys I'm training often have never been above 160 KIAS, never above 10,000', never operated a pressurized aircraft, never above 250 KIAS and never in the high flight levels, with an good understanding of high altitude aerodynamics. They learn quickly, but where you really see it is in judgement and experience. They just haven't been exposed to it. And they are upgrading in 2-3 years with the same caliber of new hire in the right seat.

T8

trainer8 said:
You can't teach experience, either. If you look through these regional airline ASAP submissions, the trend is incidents that are caused by inexperience, i.e., aircraft operations (i.e., system/aircraft knowlwdge), runways incursions, altitude deviations, clearence deviations, etc.

I'd guess you see EXACTLY the same kind of ASAP reports from experienced US Airways pilots also...

I'd guess you see EXACTLY the same kind of ASAP reports from experienced US Airways pilots also...

Yes. They're called mistakes and thats what ASAP is for. We are humans and mistakes happen at every level. The system is designed to detect trends and implent regulatory policy so that common hazards may be reduced or eliminated. It is too simplisitc to say that ASAPs are inordinately filled out by low time regional pilots.

Yes. They're called mistakes and thats what ASAP is for. We are humans and mistakes happen at every level. The system is designed to detect trends and implent regulatory policy so that common hazards may be reduced or eliminated. It is too simplisitc to say that ASAPs are inordinately filled out by low time regional pilots.

My point exactly.

Just last month we (the industry) had a new regional capt on a very heavily automated airplane have to make 4 tries to get into an airport.....VFR Wx was clear and 10 miles with light wind and he missed three times before managing to figure out how to get the thing on the ground. The F/O was a newbie.

I think that we are going to start seeing smoking holes unless the industry stops the current hiring practices.

Just last month we (the industry) had a new regional capt on a very heavily automated airplane have to make 4 tries to get into an airport.....VFR Wx was clear and 10 miles with light wind and he missed three times before managing to figure out how to get the thing on the ground. The F/O was a newbie.

I think that we are going to start seeing smoking holes unless the industry stops the current hiring practices.

C'mon. Is that really true?

...if so, I'm astounded. Sounds more like an issue with the training dept. - he shouldn't have been let loose if he can't put it down under those conditions - especially with the abundance of automation.

You would...but not 6 ASAPs on just Altitude Deviations in a month, for every month, for the last 6 months.

T8

The guys I'm training often have never been above 160 KIAS, never above 10,000', never operated a pressurized aircraft, never above 250 KIAS and never in the high flight levels, with an good understanding of high altitude aerodynamics. They learn quickly, but where you really see it is in judgement and experience. They just haven't been exposed to it. And they are upgrading in 2-3 years with the same caliber of new hire in the right seat.
It's funny you mention that, last month I was flying along and noticed the FO gettting all giddy, I asked him what was up, he told me he had never been to FL390 before, on another flight the FO saw me go through the QRH to do some balancing, he had never seen anyone balance fuel before!

Latest resources

Back