Senority System

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Skyline

I think the senority system should be done away with. Studies have shown that job statisfaction lies with many other factors besides just pay. QOL issues play a major roll as well. I think you could do it on a point system. As you gain time you will build points. You would build points for longevity as well. Everyone should be trained as a captain at their first recurrent date. Skill and ability would gain points as well. Then when it comes time to choose Bases, pay, Capt or FO it would be done on the point system. You could choose to work more days in a month but be at your top base choice. Perhaps you would aim for a quick left seat but take a pay hit. I think it would alow more freedom and people could get more of what they wanted instead of our current system on only the top getting most of the good stuff. I also think that Captains should fly as an FO for one bid a year.

Skyline

done all the time in other business groups

Spooky 1 said:
Who will be the judge that "skill and ability"?

Its doable, other professions set up peer groups to evaluate performane on a rating system of questions, which are submitted to a managment review team for input...your performance is based on standards and how you stack with the rest of your department...big shift of thinking though

Skill and Ability

I suppose you could use test scores and check ride grades. The current system is gauged by the lowest common denominator. Where is the incentive to perform? It also would be nice to open up other jobs to pilots like: crew scheduling or dispatch. In the military pilots preform a variety of jobs besides fly. It gets old sitting in the tube day after day. The current system is antiquated. If we aren't going to enjoy huge pay and days off then they should rearrange the system to allow for more job satisfaction.

Skyline

Skyline said:
I suppose you could use test scores and check ride grades. The current system is gauged by the lowest common denominator. Where is the incentive to perform? It also would be nice to open up other jobs to pilots like: crew scheduling or dispatch. In the military pilots preform a variety of jobs besides fly. It gets old sitting in the tube day after day. The current system is antiquated. If we aren't going to enjoy huge pay and days off then they should rearrange the system to allow for more job satisfaction.

Skyline

I believe most if not all check rides (recurrent, initial, proficiency) are either pass or fail. Obviously the written test could be scored to grade value, but
the actual sim check would be very subjective at best. Do you have personnel experience as a check airman, TCE, APM? If so I am sure would agree this would be a difficult task at best.

I suspect that this is another one of your ideas that would mitigate your lack of progress in this chosen field? One of the most dangerous flaws that would come from this approach is competive flying. I can get into that airport, I can handle those winds, I can do it better than the next pilot, just watch. A sure recipe for disaster IMO.

Testy

The current system is no better. Why the chief pilot of AA crashed. A system would have to be developed and I think it would work. I don't get your connection to completing the flights? I don't understand how my idea would change common sense and safety.

SkyLine

Skyline said:
The current system is no better. Why the chief pilot of AA crashed. A system would have to be developed and I think it would work. I don't get your connection to completing the flights? I don't understand how my idea would change common sense and safety.

SkyLine

I do not think you will find any reference or supporting data in the Little Rock accident that would somehow sustain this concept. What if your last check ride was a barely pass, what then? This is a poor idea and would only serve to further divide an already very divided pilot population. I guess if you feel that are so good that you naturally accelerate to the top of the list, then maybe there is some merit for you. I am just average so I kinda like the longevity concept.

"I don't understnd how my idea would change comon sense and safety." That is the problem here, you don't get it and probably never will.

Hey

Hey man,

The only people who would have a problem with this are senior Captains. They would loose some of their gains. The current system has the little dictaters assuming that all is well while 2/3 of the company is not so happy. If the pay and days off are gone then we need to look at other ways to make the job less of a hardship.

Skyline

Skyline said:
Hey man,

The only people who would have a problem with this are senior Captains. They would loose some of their gains. The current system has the little dictaters assuming that all is well while 2/3 of the company is not so happy. If the pay and days off are gone then we need to look at other ways to make the job less of a hardship.

Skyline

Let me get this straight. The top third of the seniority list is made up of little dictators??? You are a trouble soul and perhaps you should look somewhere else for a career that is more in tune with your frame of mind. BTW I am not on any seniority list at this time.

Latest resources

Back