• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Senate, House Agree to Sixfold Boost in Airline Pilots' Flight Experience

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
De facto minimums at all airlines was way above 1500 until recently. I don't see how making it official law is a bad thing.

It's not a bad thing for us, it's bad for the airlines. When there's mass movement, as there will be again, they won't be able to find pilots. The only way there were somewhat able to fill classes during movement cycles was by lowering minimums. Add in the fact that not many students out there are flying, there will be a mass shortage of qualified pilots. How the FAA expects people to find people with 1500 in the future is beyond me when there are no people flying. Maybe it's a sign for you people out there to look for another profession. people

Last edited:
It's not a bad thing for us, it's bad for the airlines. When there's mass movement, as there will be again, they won't be able to find pilots. The only way there were somewhat able to fill classes during movement cycles was by lowering minimums. Add in the fact that not many students out there are flying, there will be a mass shortage of qualified pilots. How the FAA expects people to find people with 1500 in the future is beyond me when there are no people flying. Maybe it's a sign for you people out there to look for another profession. people

Doesn't take but a year of two of CFIing. It wasn't and issues until airlines hired riddle kids with 250hrs. The only reason they hire riddle kids is because you can make more flying checks in a baron than you can at a regional as a FO.

Here is what they do in other jobs.

Hey are you a qualified pilot with 1500hrs? We will give you a signing bonus of $10000. We are forgoing first year pay and will start you as a second year. Moving expenses and a housing allowance will also be included. We are really desperate are you sure you don't want to leave Great lakes, Colgan, etc...

Here is what they do in other jobs.

Hey are you a qualified pilot with 1500hrs? We will give you a signing bonus of $10000. We are forgoing first year pay and will start you as a second year. Moving expenses and a housing allowance will also be included. We are really desperate are you sure you don't want to leave Great lakes, Colgan, etc...

If any one part of the list gets a bonus, the entire list should get a bonus. That's the way it should work. Why not just redo all of our sections on pay/compensation?

I am for this. However, don't be too quick to judge those that are building experience and lamenting this legislation. The opportunities that many of us had for building time aren't nearly as available to today's greenhorns.

Instructing-Student starts are wayyyyy down. Understandably so, people have learned that this career track has put many in the poor house and no longer find it financially viable.

It's much harder to build time, let alone, find a job. There's even some outfit that the CFI's only pay is room and board. Flight schools are no longer begging for instructors.

Flying Checks-Due to Check 21, we all know that industry is severely diminished and its days are numbered.

135 Freight- The just-in-time delivery, i.e. how auto plants stocked parts is no longer their philosophy. They're much more efficient because they have to be. The golden age of the mid/late nineties flying of auto parts is long gone.

135 Pax- Way down

Fracs - The bubble has popped.

People will find ways to build time (some will outright buy the hours in block time.) It is just that it is going to be much, MUCH more difficult than when (the 90's) I was building time....especially if you want to build experience AND get paid to do it.

Last edited:
A deeply diminished supply of pilots is exactly what we need.

Personally, I think you should have to pass the ATP and type ride to work at a regional.

Latest resources

Back