Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

kmox29

I'm open! I'm open!
U.S. pilots would need at least 1,500 hours of flight experience to get a job in an airline cockpit, six times the current minimum requirement, under a House-Senate agreement disclosed by a passenger advocacy group.

The agreement, part of broader aviation legislation being negotiated in Congress, was outlined by Senator Jay Rockefeller to relatives of victims in a fatal crash near Buffalo, New York, last year, according to Scott Maurer, whose daughter was killed in the accident, and who attended today’s meeting in Washington.

The deal is “very positive” and is among safety changes that “should have been happening” more than a year ago, said Kevin Kuwik of Columbus, Ohio, who said he was dating Lorin Maurer, one of 50 victims in the Feb. 12, 2009, crash of Pinnacle Airlines Corp.’s Colgan unit.

Boosting the minimum required pilot experience from 250 hours has been a top goal of friends and relatives of people who died when the plane crashed in Clarence Center, near Buffalo. Airline pilot unions and House Democrats also pushed for the higher requirement, saying it would lessen the chance of a repeat of the Colgan accident.

Rockefeller appreciates the families’ “deep commitment to a safer transportation system,” spokeswoman Jena Longo said in a statement. The senator believes legislation funding the Federal Aviation Administration, which includes the requirement, “is ready and he is hopeful that the bill will be considered this week,” she said. The West Virginia Democrat heads the Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee.

Pilot Blamed

The National Transportation Safety Board this year said Colgan Captain Marvin Renslow caused the crash by incorrectly responding to a stall warning in the cockpit. Renslow died along with all passengers, crew and one person on the ground, after the flight for Continental Airlines Inc. departed from Newark, New Jersey’s Liberty airport.

A 1,500-hour minimum exceeds the 800 hours approved by the Senate in March as part of $34.6 billion legislation to fund the Federal Aviation Administration. The House in October 2009 approved a 1,500-hour minimum in its version of the legislation.

The Air Transport Association, the Washington trade group for major U.S. carriers, told House lawmakers in a letter before their vote that carriers were concerned the requirement would result in “unnecessary and artificial barriers” for qualified pilots and reduce the applicant pool for carriers.

Congressional talks on the FAA bill accelerated last week in anticipation negotiations could be completed this week.

Differences remain over how much to raise ticket taxes to fund airport projects and how many long-distance flights should be allowed from Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, Kuwik said after the Rockefeller meeting.

Congress is almost three years overdue in renewing the law that finances the FAA. The agency has been operating on temporary renewals of the law while lawmakers negotiate.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-...oost-in-airline-pilots-flight-experience.html

Wonder what kind of subpart is going to be included:

1 (a) Pilot experience may be reduced to 200hrs if the applicant has graduated from an approved academy. ie: humpy diddle.

Thanks for posting! I'm glad to see the minimums change. I don't think it will really benifit safety but it will create a higher demand and hopefully better wages for all of us.

I fear the consequences could harm us more than help us. Plenty of this stuff sounds grand until the real effects start to be felt and then everyone goes, "This is BS! Tell ALPA to fix it!" When they were part of the original group clamoring for change.

I wish I could post that the duty/rest issues were also addressed. Alas, no announcement so far.

De facto minimums at all airlines was way above 1500 until recently. I don't see how making it official law is a bad thing.

Thanks for posting! I'm glad to see the minimums change. I don't think it will really benifit safety but it will create a higher demand and hopefully better wages for all of us.

Anyone flying right now will not be able to see the effects of this bill. We're talking decades from now. I'm pretty sure it won't go into effect for 2 or 3 years and even then as far as better wages, those are negotiated by the pilots not by the FAA. It will be interesting to see what this will do in the future though.

You mean I gots to sit in a 172 for another 1000 hours?
It's called experience, getcha some. You can branch out and fly some charter stuff on the side you know.

I think this change is great

Latest resources

Back