• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Senate, House Agree to Sixfold Boost in Airline Pilots' Flight Experience

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Let's not forget that the concept of building experience flying charter is completely shattered by retired mainline guys who planned poorly and lost their pensions.

I don't care who you are you're going to at least be buying some multi time if you want in.

That's a bit of a catch 22 in the context of the law of diminishing returns. The "intent" of this legislation is to increase safety through setting a minimum standard of experience that is measured purely in logged hours. Any Bozo can buy block time. Flying when you want to versus flying when you have to are completely different levels of experience.

That's a bit of a catch 22 in the context of the law of diminishing returns. The "intent" of this legislation is to increase safety through setting a minimum standard of experience that is measured purely in logged hours. Any Bozo can buy block time. Flying when you want to versus flying when you have to are completely different levels of experience.

Good point. There is significant difference between 1 hour flown 1500 times vs. 1500 hours. I don't think that this fact was given much thought by the activists and congressmen.

Last edited:
Good point. There is significant difference between 1 hour flown 1500 times vs. 1500 hours. I don't think that this fact was given much thought by the activists and congressmen.

Yep. Those of you applauding this legislation better hope you aren't at a regional that is not financially able or willing to attract candidates when the going gets tough. This rule is going to put some out of business.

It's not a bad thing for us, it's bad for the airlines. When there's mass movement, as there will be again, they won't be able to find pilots. The only way there were somewhat able to fill classes during movement cycles was by lowering minimums. Add in the fact that not many students out there are flying, there will be a mass shortage of qualified pilots. How the FAA expects people to find people with 1500 in the future is beyond me when there are no people flying. Maybe it's a sign for you people out there to look for another profession. people

I am hoping for an exemption for people coming out of accredited universites (ie: UND, SIU, Purdue, yes even Riddle...).

If there isn't one, the airlines will be hiring from overseas when the next pilot boom starts. That's something none of us want.

I am hoping for an exemption for people coming out of accredited universites (ie: UND, SIU, Purdue, yes even Riddle...).

If there isn't one, the airlines will be hiring from overseas when the next pilot boom starts. That's something none of us want.
That exemption you speak of would enable pilot hiring to remain status quo.

As best I can tell, the overseas companies are hiring US pilots because of our current surplus and their deficit.

FWIW, frac bubble bursting or not, I can't think of any that would hire with less than 2500TT and an ATP. At least in recent times.

If there was some sort of way to measure meaningful experience, that would be good.

Absent some other means, the 1500 hour requirement is as good as any.
Clearly, the regionals hired some very incompetent individuals, and they made a place at the table for the marginally-trained Gulfstreamers with predictable results.

There will be a few very wealthy people who can PFT their way to the new requirement, but most will have to get some sort of real experience.

OPECJet said:
FWIW, frac bubble bursting or not, I can't think of any that would hire with less than 2500TT and an ATP. At least in recent times.

Planesense hired more than a few FOs who didn't have ATP minimums, and I think Avantair may have hired a couple sub-1500hr folks as well.

That said, neither of those are time-building jobs for a regional airline.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back