• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Senate Hearing on Regional Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BTW Not to flame here but there are unintended consequences to for every fix. Are you willing to spend more time on the road in rest? Fewer days off at home for the same number of flight hours, or the same number of days at home and fewer flight hours.

Yes, I would....as I'm sure my union will negotiate the appropriate trip/duty rigs that still give me the equal pay check and the QOL that one has now.
Why do concede that pilots and not management would "eat" the cost of these new regulations?
Why are pilots so quick to reach into their pockets to solve a management problem?

Lautenberg is all over the place! He wants to end our careers without considering that the person giving the checkride could be wrong or that the training leading to the checkride is inadequate. He said the flight into the Hudson was a United flight. And he said Sullenberger's name wrong. Wow.

Yeah, this worries me. Tell me we have reps there to make sure that these brain farts in the Senate understand what's really happening and to remind them of the implications that will result from certain changes they think are so perfect and necessary. I pinked my oral for my CFI. It's the only pink I've ever had. I'm not perfect. There were a few times that I probably should've pinked but I was able to redeem myself with a retrain (121). Sometimes the simulator breaks, sometimes the timing at which the checkairman says, "deer on the runway!" is not perfect. Whatever happens that people have no control over, I hope pilots careers aren't ended because of this crap.

Babitt says airlines should follow Cargo Carriers and buy commuting crew members hotel rooms to be rested before starting trips!

The ironony is that people with less experience are less likely to have had a blemish on their training record.

Take a pilot with 10,000 hours and worked at 5 airlines compared to a pilot with 300 hours and no airline experience. Which pilot is more likely to have had a blemish on their training record?

Yes, I would....as I'm sure my union will negotiate the appropriate trip/duty rigs that still give me the equal pay check and the QOL that one has now.
Why do concede that pilots and not management would "eat" the cost of these new regulations?
Why are pilots so quick to reach into their pockets to solve a management problem?

Sure, why not work less for the same money?

The airlines are going broke now, why not speed things up?

It's the airlines fault you live in SEA and commute to LGA. "I'm tired". No Sh^t Sherlock. Commuting sucks. Why do it?

Sure, why not work less for the same money?

The airlines are going broke now, why not speed things up?

It's the airlines fault you live in SEA and commute to LGA. "I'm tired". No Sh^t Sherlock. Commuting sucks. Why do it?
I've been forced into 4 bases in 5 years, should I move to each one. I own a house have a kid and wife. Really should I move everytime I get displaced. You're smart like a senator

You're smart like a senator

Now thats funny....
Look Airlines have been squeezing money from generous pilot scheduling for years.....pay back is hell

The reason Regional airlines have more failures is not necessarily experience. Frankly its money.
Training is a cost and majors are willing to spend more then regionals because contracts regulate training and failures more at that level then a regional where its failures are looked upon not as a programs deficiency but rather an individuals failure and more times then not the individual is shown the door rather then scheduling more training.

Before companies pay you for a hotel when you commute, they will prohibit commuting. They may call the bluff of any pilot that says they will quit first. Do the math. Say you are a Regional Captain making $77k+ a year. Are you going to quit that job? Where else are you going to work, now, for that money - at least in this industry. (And for those that say I can get another job in a snap and replace that income, not so, at least for 90% of the folks out there)

So, a company may say you have 6 months to move to base, or they will let you go. With all Regionals being forced to downsize, this could be a way to trim extra pilots.

Not saying this is what I endorse, but it is more likely than the company plopping down $50/night for hundreds of commuters! Never happen!

Latest resources

Back