• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Senate Hearing on Regional Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Colgan and PCL were lack of experience....Let's deal with the root cause....Lack of experience has been well known to many of us....[/QUOTE]

No I'm sorry but I completely disagree with that statement. Colgan and PCL were poor (very poor) airmanship. In the PCL case it was compounded by immature personalities, hazardous attitudes, and finally poor knowledge of aerodynamics and high altitude effects. In the Colgan case, it was compounded by poor skills, lack of situational awareness in obviously not assessing the airplane's situation as a stall.

One could argue that a private pilot, fresh out of flight school, might have actually performed better in the stall recovery, since they've practiced stalls on almost every single flight they've had to that point.
So maybe if they'd had more experience they would have had a little more respect for on approach at night in imc with ice, and concentrated just a tiny bit. but beyond that i think that in both scenarios, experience was irrelevant.

If you think about it, unless you've cfi'd, the last time you were REQUIRED to demonstrate recovery from a full stall was your PPL. Is that absurd or what.

In fact, I personally have a beef with how the training test standards in the professional environment state as objective 'minimum loss of altitude'. Coupled with requiring only impending stalls, this makes the recovery sequence in the sim very similar to what Colgan capt was doing. I can still hear the voice of x many sim instructors lecturing "lock the pitch and add the thrust-- she'll fly out of it". well not if she is in a 'real' stall, she won't...

Nothing is going to change. The public will forget about this, it will boil to money and things will stay exactly the same (or very little improvement). I'd love to be wrong.

Nice touch

First you accuse me of not understanding circadiam swap.....despite having done them for 15 years...Then you accuse me of a "lack of personal responsibilty".....If I am fatigued...I will remove myself from the trip....If I get home safely....so will everyone else....I don't have a death wish.....Colgan and PCL were lack of experience....Let's deal with the root cause....Lack of experience has been well known to many of us....
On the button, this is a job that demands confronting fatigue. You can not escape it. You learn to deal with it. You know your own limits, when you exceed those limits you rise the "fatigue flag" I know this will cause uproar, but I have heard it before. So I will ask the question, are guys using the safety and fatigue combination to get more time off?

Last edited:
The thing about fatigue is that a lot of the time you won't even know you're fatigued to a dangerous level. That's why these regulations are important.

Nothing is going to change. The public will forget about this, it will boil to money and things will stay exactly the same (or very little improvement). I'd love to be wrong.

Same thing, same thing, same place, same place, what are you going to do? don't know, what are you going to do? don't know. Creatures of habit never change.

Latest resources

Back