• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SeaWorld, Southwest Airlines Ending Partnership

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've watched the trailer of this "documentary", which it really isn't, as I haven't found the whole movie on line yet. If it was a documentary, it would show both sides of the story.

For those that are interested, here's the other side:

http://seaworld.com/en/truth/truth-about-blackfish/?from=Top_Nav

http://seaworld.com/en/truth/letter/?from=Top_Nav

The videos are also interesting. Take the time to read the details of the 2010 tragedy, realize that the idea of taking calves from mothers is a fabrication, and the early footage is from 30-40 years ago and whales were taken from the wild under government regulation and hasn't been practiced since.

The documentary is quite clear about that, actually, but that isn't the core of the problem. How they're treated in captivity is the problem.

The documentary is available on Netflix, so you must not have looked very hard.

I get conflicted-

How many whales live now bc we don't have whale on the menu at sushi joints like japan does?
We don't bc we've LEARNED to love them and our kids love them, BECAUSE of zoos and sea worlds etc-

Kids absolutely love the sea world planes-

But that kind of captivity is no place for an orca- it would be like one of us living in a glass french hotel, (small) and never being able to leave

There's a place in this world for all God's creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes. ;)

I wouldn't say that we're better than the Japanese simply because our culture has not developed a taste for whale. Our native Americans from the northwest are still fighting for their rights to hunt as they've done for centuries, but our culture finds that distasteful. Where is the tolerance and acceptance for other cultures and lifestyles?

I've watched the trailer of this "documentary", which it really isn't, as I haven't found the whole movie on line yet. If it was a documentary, it would show both sides of the story.

For those that are interested, here's the other side:

http://seaworld.com/en/truth/truth-about-blackfish/?from=Top_Nav

http://seaworld.com/en/truth/letter/?from=Top_Nav

The videos are also interesting. Take the time to read the details of the 2010 tragedy, realize that the idea of taking calves from mothers is a fabrication, and the early footage is from 30-40 years ago and whales were taken from the wild under government regulation and hasn't been practiced since.

"The Cove" is also an excellent documentary... makes me really want to boycott anything Japanese.

That is merely mans rationalization of this injustice.

The wild is where all animals have evolved to live in and belong to an ecological chain. For better or worse, the animal is most satisfied and content when it functions within its own natural environment, not some artificial one which poorly replicates it for the appeasement of human folly. Disturbing it sends a rippling effect of repercussions throughout the entire animal community. Man has tampered too much with the natural systematical order of things, causing havoc everywhere.

The natural habitat is where an animal is comfortable and most at home, not in some confined area where they're guaranteed a meal when made to perform. I'm sure you think the circus is a great place for an elephant as well. The treatment of elephants in a circus is a real travesty of animal life.

My eyes have been opened. I just opened the door and let my pets go. The man/animal world is now in harmony.

Maybe I should also just switch to being a complete vegan as well.

Comparing an Orca to a pet like a housecat or dog is pure ignorance. Pets have been bred over tens of thousands of years to be domesticated animals that thrive on human companionship. Putting a Pomeranian in the wild would be just as cruel as putting an Orca in a tank. Orcas did not evolve to be human companions.

Doesn't PETA euthanize over 90% of it's rescued animals? And the last I checked, It still was the front organization for the Animal Liberation Front. A domestic terrorist organization.

I don't support PETA, and I don't think the producers of Blackfish have any connection to them, either. PETA is a fringe group that doesn't speak for most animal lovers.

Comparing an Orca to a pet like a housecat or dog is pure ignorance. Pets have been bred over tens of thousands of years to be domesticated animals that thrive on human companionship. Putting a Pomeranian in the wild would be just as cruel as putting an Orca in a tank. Orcas did not evolve to be human companions.

Does your kid have a fish tank or ant farm at home? Besides, do orcas in the wild get fed at meal time? Do they get their chins scratched on command? How many orcas in the wild die of hunger because they are too slow to catch dinner?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back