• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Screw this industry?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Amen! I'd be on the first train away from this so-called "career" if I could! I realized not long ago though that the worst part about non-pilot jobs is that you have to look for them in your own city... a reasonable distance from your house etc.

So unless I want to be a chef at Waffle House, I guess I still have to fly for a little longer.

when you find out what career you are changing to, let me know and keep the door open.

"flying is cool" was a neat concept when I was 12, but now, living in hotel rooms, calling back to wife on the road, airport shuttle vans, translated the previous concept into "flying sucks"

Grass is Greener

You guys crack me up. I was an engineer making a good living. Got bored, quit my job and started flying 135 and starving. Coincidentally, I got married and had some kids. The whole thing was very tough because my wife had to go back to work to pay the bills. Nightmare. I finally bagged it and went back to engineering. Back making good money (although not major airline captain pay) and home with the kids every night. To make big money in a corporation, you have to be a manager type, not engineer type so I'm switching over to management to make captain pay. Every day, I sit at my desk and am content that I can pay the bills and see the family every night but realize I would rather fly than be an engineer or management puke.

So I do the weekend warrior thing with some buddies who fly and go get the hamburger 100 miles away.

I actually sit at my desk somedays and try to figure out what it would cost me to start up a 135 with one Lear and build the business up. Maybe when the kids get older.

Big joke, everytime I get on the net to look at airplanes my 7 year old comes by and says, "gee Dad, I sure was sad when you were gone flying all the time". He was only 3 when I was doing it but still remembers.

Moral of the story for datafox, you will miss flying if you leave but hanging with your family is probably the better good.

checksix is right.

There is nothing more important than your family. Do what ever it takes to support and provide for them but the most important thing is to be there for them as much as possible. I have 2 children and the smallest one will call me on my mobile phone just crying her eyes out because "I have been gone forever".

For myself, after 18 years in the industry I too am looking for a way out. The pay is good but the schedules are absolutely ridiculous.

Last month: 20 days flying, 93.5 hours block, 357 hours away from home (equivalent to 17+ hour work days for the 9-5 type)

This thread is so f*cking depressing. How about hearing the other side of it, with people who have managed to bide well balancing a flying career and a loving family? I would hate to sit behind a friggin desk. That sucks. My only other idea of a job would be law enforcement. But even that has it's effects on a family. There just really isn't any solution is there? Maybe the solution is to do what you love so you don't come home pissed off that you must work at a rat-ass office job for a pr*ck boss to make ends meet when 10 years ago you were flying along with your nose pressed to the glass watching the world go by.

Face it: Work sucks at any job. Might as well have a little bit of fun along the way.

A lot of luck involved. Get hired at a secure relatively fast growing airline and get up in seniority quickly and before ya know it, you're a Captain flying Tuesday thru Thursday and/or you always get the days off you want and have great job security i.e Southwest.

Follow "traditional" advice, be more concerned what Kit Darby says with such things as calling USAir "THE airline to go to to work for" and "avoid '2nd tier' airlines like Southwest if you have a choice" and also not check debt to equity ratios and get hired at airline that you think will afford you a "guaranteed retirement plan" and next thing ya know there is no growth, no upward movement in seniority, then you are part of a bankrupt airline, and then finally you are laid off.

Switch to the "dark side" and go work for the FAA. Its not that bad! Home at night, good pay, bennies and you still get to fly occasionally.

I'm leaving a good paying desk job right now to go to a regional. I had a long talk with my wife and I guess I'm lucky because she has always supported me in everything I do. At one point I had the same thought as flychicaga (police officer gig). I had tested at 6 departments in my area and made the lists. But in the end all I really want to do is fly. I know I'm just getting started in this industry, but I just try to keep a positive attitude.

prahler

Hey,
This tread strikes home! My best friend from college had some insight to this issue. Her father was a UAL DC-10 CPT. I remember her lamenting the missed holidays, birthdays and other family occasions that were missed. She especially hated the domicile changes, she would just start having fun with the new friends she just made and wham "the move" and starting all over again. She has a love hate relationship with her father, she still has negative feelings toward Her father's career choice and and the impact it had on her life. She is my age, 40ish and has mellowed with time but still has those unhappy memories. When she found out I was going into the airline industry, she smiled and said good luck. This industry caused my 10+ year relationship to fail, 340+ TAFB schedules, early starts, late finishes, timezone shuffling all contributed to the failure. This industry will test the strongest of relationships to the breaking point.
Good Luck
PBR

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back