• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Screw this industry?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This has been one of the more interesting threads I've seen. I complain and moan like most other pilots and think life would be better at a normal job. But here's my take on it. I started at a regional when I was 23, , I'm now 30 and still there. Never had a full time job other than flight instructing (for 9 months). So I know that I have never been kicked in the baals like some have by this industry.

One day I was flying down to mexico with an FO who was about 5 years older than me. He was telling me about his boat, that he pulls into his dock at his custom home. Since it didn't add up that he had all this making 28K and with no sugar momma I just had to ask what drugs he was selling. Funny enough he said he was a pharmacutical (sp?) rep for 5 years before the flying. All said and done he made 180K a year. I basicall said something to the effect of you must be completely stupid or out of your mind. Annoyed at that he sternly asks me if I've ever had a real job? Well no. So he politely tells me to shut up because I have no clue. He said every day he woke up with a pit in his stomach about the day ahead of him. His last few months he couldn't even get himself to make his rounds, he just lied. He made tons of money but was too miserable to spend it. Kind of made a big impression on me that I really have no clue what it's like doing the 7-6 thing (people keep saying 8-5 but I know my Dad was more the 7-6/7 thing as an engineer). Another FO was the number two guy at a Target store, made close to 90K he said. Funny thing is he used the exact "pit in my stomach every morning" description that the other guy used. Said as he drove to work he dreaded it everyday. He had two 4 yr degrees, buisness mgt, and finance, now making 28K. Third guy was an accountant at one of the big ones. He told me his breaking point came when they insisted he continue his audit with his team on easter sunday. He said they always had to work weekends but he couldn't believe the easter sunday thing. He didn't show up because he wanted to spend time with his family. They treatended to fire him. He made 55K a year.

In the same way I can't describe to you first hand what it's like to be racially profiled or discriminated against (since i'm a blond haired white guy), us pilots who have pretty much only flown planes can't begin to describe how much better it would be working the "8-5" job. The few that have posted here that can talk about it seem to take the same stance as the guys I've talked to first hand.

Within my family I compare notes with my older brother who is an IT guy for a newspaper in phx, and my brother in law who manages billing for homestore dot com. The first likes his job, makes about 5K a year less than me and generally works 9-5 M-F. Has 4 weeks vacation which is cool, but when they get hacked, which seems to be hapening more he is there 7 days straight. You can't even get him on his cell. No extra pay for those weekends. The second one has become a miserable person. Leaves the house at 5 something for a 1 plus hour commute, home around 6ish. Towards the end of the month he works 10-12 hour days and comes in on saterday to get things done. makes in the 40's. A few months ago he took a day off and was hanging at my parents house. I asked him how he was enjoying it and he said not at all because now he's worried about how he's going to have to catch up the next day when he returns. really sad because when we were younger he was the coolest laid back guy, used to even do stand up for fun. When I talk to them my 14/15 day off lines don't look too bad. They think I'm the most lazy person around. My 4 day this week of 3 legs, 2 legs, full day in mexico with nothing to do but surf the net on the laptop, then 3 legs tomorrow doesn't even come close to the week they go throgh IMO. Sure hotels piss me off, security, gate agents, and all the other crap but as its been said before I think all jobs suck to some degree.

My last comparison is my Dad and his brother. Both raised in the same house by the same parents, and only a few years apart in age. Dad is a department head at a big engineering firm in phx, his brother is a senior AWA Captain. My Dad is the most unfriendly high stress person I know. As kids we always new when a project was not going good. I'm ashamed to say now as an adult but we hated when he came home because he was so stressed. The uncle is the most happy go lucky fun guy to be around. He was always taking us kids to the lake on the tue or wed afternoon in the summer (when you could actually use the lake without the weekend crowds). It seems to me that since you spend most of your awake life at work it has a big role in shaping your personality and life. Very un scientific I know, but something that I've seen first hand that is interesting.

All this for what its worth, and I'll still probably be b*tching tomorrow about this job anyhow.

As Mark Twain once observed, "Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be".

commuterguy,

What a great 1st post. This is also my first post and I just want to say thanks. I have been struggling with this very subject after 10 years of flying and trying to find my way back. This has helped

Tye, Tye, the Rennaissance Guy!

Gee, between quoting Twain and the Bond references in the other thread, it appears (all modesty aside) that I'm not the only (just about) pilot I know who has a modicum of knowledge gleaned from sources other than Maxim and Sports Center! I still can't decide if I prefer your Zappa or Dali avatar.

Back to topic, I too, am depressed by the tone of this thread. It actually made me wonder if my cush reserve job is where I should stay. But, in the end, until one experiences something firsthand, one shouln't presuppose (unless everyone says stay away). So, I look forward to someday balancing a career with the majors with the reserves and family and ending up happy in the end.

Last edited:
IMO commuterguy nailed it dead on.

Most of the folks doing the heavy complaining would still complain even if they were given their ideal job on a silver platter.

My experience has been that almost everybody I've met that doesn't like the airline business has never worked outside of it.

Those that have never worked in other occupations have some pretty unrealistic ideas about how much money people get paid. According to the census bureau the median family income in the U.S. is $63K. That's both spouses working folks.

Unless you've had to work with an in-basket, deadlines, reports, staff meetings, etc, etc you probably have no idea how stress free flying an airplane is. This job is a walk in the park by comparison.

I'm a very junior reserve Captain and will be for at least a couple more years, maybe even as many as 5 more years. My life has never been better. I worked less and get paid more than any other occupation I've ever done. I had 'only' 12 days off last month.

Commuting sucks and it plays a large part in the QOL of airline pilots. It's also a self inflicted wound. Live where you work and your life will be much easier.

This job does have drawbacks like any other profession, but in my mind the pros far outweigh the cons.

Personally, I like the travelling. I travelled 200 days a year in a previous life and I'm kinda used to it.

I may not agree or understand why some folks really dislike this job. I do know that if you are unhappy you must make a change and find out if the other side is really greener. It may or may not be all that you expected, but life is way too short to not go and find out. That's why I ended up as a pilot. I hated the other way of living and wanted to try and make it in what I thought would be the perfect career for me. So far so good.

Great thread. I just read it from start to finish. Just a comment or two on the subject in addition to the pile.
  1. Drop a day or two a month, stay home and stop being so greedy.
  2. Use sick days.
  3. Move to your domicile (although Memphis is out the question).
  4. Stop working extra. Live a reasonable lifestyle, within your means.
  5. Your are in for the long-haul. Work for a strong union and contract.
  6. Get senior instead of chasing the dollars.
I will stay with the airline I am with, but if it didn't work out, I would probably not continue flying, nor would I recommend chasing an airline career to a young kid getting started. However, I don't take my work home or even think about it at home, contrary to many traditional jobs. The bottom line is that we create much of the hardship for ourselves.

Again.....as somebody else pointed out, alot of the "naysayers" seem to be posting from the viewpoint of having a family with this job.

Simple fact-of-the-matter is if you work for a 121 airline, this job will take time away from your family and you will miss out on those "irreplaceable" moments. You just can't be gone away from home for 3 to 4 days a week without an impact. Being away from home for 3-4 days straight can't be compared to a run-of-the-mill 9 to 5 job as far as impacting your time with family.

(and yes, yes, Ty Webb....we know. AirTran "the almighty" is THE place to be. A place where everybody gets 16 days a month off and sleeps in their own bed 21 days a month.)

JohnDoe said:
(and yes, yes, Ty Webb....we know. AirTran "the almighty" is THE place to be. A place where everybody gets 16 days a month off and sleeps in their own bed 21 days a month.)
My point was that it's really not that bad, even at a LCC. I think most people picked up on that, except you and a few others.

I can't speak for everyone here, but my schedule is pretty minimal. I'm off for 11 days straight right now. Dropped two days to make that happen, but it'll still pay over 80 hours credit.

So, no, it's not the "pinnacle of aviation" but it doesn't suck, either.

Last edited:
Ty Webb said:
4) spending a week on a lake in North Woods with my wife's family in July.
Where exactly are these "North Woods" you are talking about? I am wondering if it is the same "North Woods" I am going to for 2 weeks in July...

These "North Woods" are along the Upper Peninsula area south of Lake Superior along the Canadian border.

Where are you gonna be smokin' your catch, up that way, or up in Maine?

Latest resources

Back