Scott leather vs Korchmar flight case

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Luggage Works suck!!!!!!!!

Man, if a bag ever needed a metal skid plate, this one does. Between the rain, snow and all other fluids, one of the plastic skids they have on the bottom has completely pulled through my bag, leaving a gapping hole in the bottom.

Never again.

Ya the Luggage Works suck, its just cardboard wrapped in cheap paper thin leather with plastic piping edges. JUNK!!!!!

While I know nothing of the double handle type I do have Korchman with wheels. I've had it for 7 years and the thing has only seen regional service. Its pretty beat right now and figure I've only got 3 or less years left out of the thing. I have had some issues with it, but overall I think its a good bag and I love it.

Issues:
1. Handle fell off a few years ago. Fixed it with some eye bolts, nuts, 250 lb test chain, and plastic tubing cover to make chain handle comfy.

2. The extension handle so you can pull it gets stuck up sometimes. I can always get it down, but now that I fly for a company that does overnights and I carry my overnight bag I no longer need to pull the bag by its wheels so I went ahead and zip tied that handle down so no one uses it anymore.

3. After years of abuse the bottom corners have started to separate, but the holes are small and easily fixed with duct tape on the inside of the bag.

4. Just last week half of one of my "top flaps" came off of the bag. Fixed it with duct tape and have had no problems since.

Good things about the bag:
1. Its survived 7 years in planes such as the 1900, J 41 and EMB 145.

2. Its also survived a few years of commuting

3. I ran it over with my car once. (swore I put it in my trunk, backed up and thud...)

4. Since it has wheels I never ever have to worry about bag drag.

5. Has plenty of room for all of the stuff I need for work.

All in all I'd say its a good bag and would say that you would be hard pressed to find something that can take the same beating and not totally break.

If you get the Coyote Works bag and fly an RJ, don't get the 9" one. It's too wide and doesn't fit in the slot. 8" is great though.

I have the Scott square 8" bag. I'm on my 4th year now and it's held up well. I can't speak for the other bags but i'm sure they'll work good too.

I'm looking into a new bag with the meatl skidplate on the bottom because the bottom corners of my Scott are wearing through from being dragged around on the ramp. If you're a real pilot who uses jetways all the time the leather bottom might work but it's not hard for commuter peons like me to tear them up.

Latest resources

Back