• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Scott leather vs Korchmar flight case

Cpt Oveur

I had the fish for dinner
Total Time
time?
Looking for a new flight case, one with the double strap handles as opposed to the normal handle. Korchmar only comes in a 7", Scott in a 7 or 8.

Scott is 319 vs Korchmar 328.

Lifetime warranty that doesn't cover wear and tear vs a 5 year one.

Would appreciate any input from any pilot who has either bag. I have the ballistic Luggage Works now and the handle has crapped out on me twice.

N813CA

Yeah buddy
Total Time
Hate the douple straps. I have the scotts one and only used it for a week. Biggest thing I didn't like was having to use a key to lock, and have to attach the handles everytime before attaching to suitcase.

Abernathy

Truthiness
Total Time
Lots
I have the Scott double strap ("jumbo flight kit"). The case is good, and it fits all my charts + my netbook. My next bag will not be a double strap, for what it's worth. It's not as easy to hook the larger handle to my overnight bag and sometimes I struggle with it.

It'll last years though.

trgarcia

Total Time
3000+
Take a look at the Coyote Works. It has the double straps and if you get the optional metal skid plate on the bottom it has a lifetime warranty against bagdrag. I have had mind for 2 years now. It's great. You could set off a grenade inside this thing.

They sell them at stopover store too.

tyuwerty

Quit your whining!
Total Time
12000+
Scott 8"- Had mine for 6 years. I treat it like a football and never had a problem. Looking at it, I seriously doubt it has even reached half life yet.

NoJoy

LAMA/400
Total Time
I have a Korchmar and like it alot. It has held up to the abuse of snow, rain, deice fluid and still going strong. Course I only put leather treatment on it once, and the black leather has faded to teal, but it still holding up. Got it 6 years ago at the AmericaWest store for $200.00

Whydoitry

Total Time
enough
Coyote Works, the company is owned by a couple of XJT pilots. Great products, do a Google for the web site.

piav8r

Total Time
enough
Coyote Works, the company is owned by a couple of XJT pilots. Great products, do a Google for the web site.

Dito, I have one as well and I love it... Get the skid plates they are well worth it...

Flyby1206

Total Time
enuff
anyone have a website for coyoteworks? I used to have them bookmarked under http://www.coyoteworks.net/ but it looks like the website is gone

Stifler's Mom

MILF...MILF...MILF
Total Time
Luggage Works suck!!!!!!!!

Man, if a bag ever needed a metal skid plate, this one does. Between the rain, snow and all other fluids, one of the plastic skids they have on the bottom has completely pulled through my bag, leaving a gapping hole in the bottom.

Never again.

maxcackel

Total Time
Ya the Luggage Works suck, its just cardboard wrapped in cheap paper thin leather with plastic piping edges. JUNK!!!!!

great cornholio

Are you threatening me??
Total Time
While I know nothing of the double handle type I do have Korchman with wheels. I've had it for 7 years and the thing has only seen regional service. Its pretty beat right now and figure I've only got 3 or less years left out of the thing. I have had some issues with it, but overall I think its a good bag and I love it.

Issues:
1. Handle fell off a few years ago. Fixed it with some eye bolts, nuts, 250 lb test chain, and plastic tubing cover to make chain handle comfy.

2. The extension handle so you can pull it gets stuck up sometimes. I can always get it down, but now that I fly for a company that does overnights and I carry my overnight bag I no longer need to pull the bag by its wheels so I went ahead and zip tied that handle down so no one uses it anymore.

3. After years of abuse the bottom corners have started to separate, but the holes are small and easily fixed with duct tape on the inside of the bag.

4. Just last week half of one of my "top flaps" came off of the bag. Fixed it with duct tape and have had no problems since.

Good things about the bag:
1. Its survived 7 years in planes such as the 1900, J 41 and EMB 145.

2. Its also survived a few years of commuting

3. I ran it over with my car once. (swore I put it in my trunk, backed up and thud...)

4. Since it has wheels I never ever have to worry about bag drag.

5. Has plenty of room for all of the stuff I need for work.

All in all I'd say its a good bag and would say that you would be hard pressed to find something that can take the same beating and not totally break.

GINCHBLASTER

Registered Abuser
Total Time
If you get the Coyote Works bag and fly an RJ, don't get the 9" one. It's too wide and doesn't fit in the slot. 8" is great though.

silver02ex

Total Time
5500+
I have the Scott square 8" bag. I'm on my 4th year now and it's held up well. I can't speak for the other bags but i'm sure they'll work good too.

shamrock

Total Time
1 year
I'm looking into a new bag with the meatl skidplate on the bottom because the bottom corners of my Scott are wearing through from being dragged around on the ramp. If you're a real pilot who uses jetways all the time the leather bottom might work but it's not hard for commuter peons like me to tear them up.