Scott Crossfield NTSB report out

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mar said:
The vertical development (updrafts) of CBs can exceed 4000'/min.

WOW.

I knew they could build fairly quickly, but exceed 4000'/min.?

How rare or frequent is this as it seems awfully fast. One could easily become enveloped in such a cloud fairly quickly it seems.

Flydaplane said:
From what I read, he did not just takeoff into the T-storm. He had been handed off through 4 controllers and was diverting from weather when he got into the big one. Who knows what type or radar he had on board. I wonder what the controller was painting and what he thought when Scott turned into a level six storm... and even though he's not required to do so, if he issued any advice?
I flew through some buildups back in 97 in an warrior without radar on board. The controllers helped me out quite a bit once I told them I had no radar.
Hey,
Scott was flying a 210A, I do not believe that airframe had any radar options. I met him and his A/C back in the '90s and there was no radar pod on the a/c at that time. G/A can be risky when the wx is bad and the a/c doesn't have all the possible aids, we all know how changable wx can be at any time. Any chance we all can say Scott was doing what he loved and got caught in a corner. Aviation is about risk managment and sometimes the risks just refuse to be managed.
Tailwinds
PBR

My understanding is that ARTCC is equipped with the new digital radar that allows them to overlay nexrad weather radar. Even if ATC did not have the radar, the NTSB orders a weather package and has the ability to overlay the flight path with radar data.

I've never heard of an inflight break up that pulls portions of the wing leading edges and the rudder end rib off. Mechanically the rudder end cap damage does not fit. I've heard of plenty of horizontal stabilizers and wings ripped off, but pulling a leading edge off spanwise? Anyone know who the NTSB Investigator is?

It might also bear remembering that this is a preliminary report.

It is interesting for any of us that fly light aircraft. I'm sure there are lessons to be learned here once it gets figured out.

AngelKing said:
I would be willing to bet he would say the same thing before he died.

ak

Or not.....Seriously, I hope that when I'm 84 I can find the toilet, let alone trying to divert around Level 5 weather.

RIP Scott!

I wonder if he had XM weather in the cockpit?

JimNtexas said:
I wonder if he had XM weather in the cockpit?

Probably still wouldnt matter in a fast building storm complex. The only XM weather I've used has been on the Garmin 396, and the NEXRAD radar only updates about every 5 minutes or so. 5 minutes is an eternity when the storms are building fast like they do in this part of the country at times.

Latest resources

Back