SCOPE at DELTA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just playing Devil's Advocate here...

Shuttle America is flying 175's for Delta. Would you rather those planes fly at the slightly lower weight limit and constantly have to deal with weight restrictions and bumping paying passengers, or would you rather those same airplanes be more able to carry all of your passengers without inconvenience? The airplane is still a 175.
I understand the importance of scope, but the concept if MTOW as a defining attribute seems silly to me. The aircraft will still carry the same number of passengers, but now the plane can carry more fuel on those foul weather days and not penalize the passengers for it.
As a pilot, I am always in favor of more performance. I don't fly the Delta 175's, but I do wish that I was getting this modification on the planes I fly. It irks me (though I know the whole scope issue irks you far more...just making a different point here) that pilots at another company are trying to make me leave 4000 lbs of fuel behind. That fuel (over an hour's worth at cruise) can be a huge safety benefit, and a benefit to the customers who contribute to your paycheck.
I would suggest some other sort of scope language that would prevent Shuttle America from adding more seats to their 175's (all coach for the LGA-DCA runs), without restricting the aircraft's performance.

Scope is there to make outsourcing of flying as least viable as possible. So no, I want those airplanes to be as restricted as possible to make them need to have mainline fly them.

89,000 pounds.... makes me sick thinking that is not on mainline property....

Just playing Devil's Advocate here...

Shuttle America is flying 175's for Delta. Would you rather those planes fly at the slightly lower weight limit and constantly have to deal with weight restrictions and bumping paying passengers, or would you rather those same airplanes be more able to carry all of your passengers without inconvenience? The airplane is still a 175.
I understand the importance of scope, but the concept if MTOW as a defining attribute seems silly to me. The aircraft will still carry the same number of passengers, but now the plane can carry more fuel on those foul weather days and not penalize the passengers for it.
As a pilot, I am always in favor of more performance. I don't fly the Delta 175's, but I do wish that I was getting this modification on the planes I fly. It irks me (though I know the whole scope issue irks you far more...just making a different point here) that pilots at another company are trying to make me leave 4000 lbs of fuel behind. That fuel (over an hour's worth at cruise) can be a huge safety benefit, and a benefit to the customers who contribute to your paycheck.
I would suggest some other sort of scope language that would prevent Shuttle America from adding more seats to their 175's (all coach for the LGA-DCA runs), without restricting the aircraft's performance.

They Already have scope language that limits them to 76 total seats. They also have scope that limits the MTOW to 86k. This SB doesn't do much for landing weight, which is what would be limiting on that DCA-LGA flight you're talking about. I fly the 175 and I've only had to bump pax on MSP-Vancouver a couple times when an alternate was required. With this mod the a/c can do both coasts from MSP without any problems.

If RAH wants to do this mod that's great, but I think they should be limited to 86K. They can still realize the slightly higher ZFW/MLW benefits, in addition to an extra 400 or so lb of fuel by increasing from 85517 to 86000 lb MTOW.

They Already have scope language that limits them to 76 total seats. They also have scope that limits the MTOW to 86k. This SB doesn't do much for landing weight, which is what would be limiting on that DCA-LGA flight you're talking about. I fly the 175 and I've only had to bump pax on MSP-Vancouver a couple times when an alternate was required. With this mod the a/c can do both coasts from MSP without any problems.

If RAH wants to do this mod that's great, but I think they should be limited to 86K. They can still realize the slightly higher ZFW/MLW benefits, in addition to an extra 400 or so lb of fuel by increasing from 85517 to 86000 lb MTOW.

Exactly, its about the fact that the more weight means more capability. If mgmt wants planes that can do more than what the scope language says than it needs to be flown by mainline pilots.

Scope is there to make outsourcing of flying as least viable as possible. So no, I want those airplanes to be as restricted as possible to make them need to have mainline fly them.

being an airplane not on main line property makes me sick. T-prop or no prop it needs to be on main line!

I hate to say it, but every time I fly on Delta Connection I realize how important it is to say no on any scope relief.

AMEN!!!!

That's is our deal FIN. Problem is that management is not making money at DCI, DALPA wants DCI to make money, one way to do this is to increase those weights.
I pray we do not allow this, but past actions dictate future ones. I hope we shoot this down, but I have my doubts. It will be more capable than an 88 or a 9. Now that is a mainline jet. It give more creditability to that resolution that was passed on the 13th doesn't it?
Local 20 guys do not forget that you have a few coming up in your meeting here next week.

If we cave on this, there is no excuse to say that DALPA is fighting scope. Look at the actions and watch their feet.

I'll will second that. ANY increase in its benefit for Delta to use an rj is bad for mainline. Which seems to go against LM's opinion. And to make sure that its clear, I will even say that if there are weight problems that go as fare as keep me off the jump seat and I have to pay the price. So be it. No relaxation of the restrictions.

A call to the the union rep. first thing Monday morning is in order.

They added a weight limit...did they increase the seats they fly??? Does your scope limit weights or seats? If it limits weights then deal with it. Most operators and unions should know if they are being weight restricted. The union should have seen that coming and address it in the scope language.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back