Scab Stories

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
big_al said:
do you really think they are that powerful enough to take away all that?

Don't ask me, go ask someone that lost all those things when a scab took his job.

Counselair

Hugh Jorgan said:
When the group acts with solidarity, all of the families benefit.

Hugh, I agree with your position, but I must add that the group must act from a position of wisdom and realistic expectations. Sour management/union relations, which really peaked with AA+Crandall and the APA some time back, can utterly poison the process. It got so bad that we didn't believe a word of what management said, and they looked upon any union negotiations like it was a mandatory mass root canal for all involved.

The union cannot ask for $350 / hr, and 20 days off per month for everyone. To do so makes the union and by extension the membership look like idiots. I've often thought that a significant portion of the union dues should be used to acquire hired guns with an infinite knowledge of the RLA, and current economic conditions, as advisers and negotiators.

If there is one huge weakness in our systems, it is this: Pilots seem to think they can do anything as good as, or better, than anyone else. How many times do we fly with some guy who thinks he's some king kong investor, lawyer, health genius, psychoanalyst, or airline executive - knows everything about anything, and isn't afraid to let you know? Happens all the time. Guys like this trickle upwards into union positions, and poison the process with idiotic ruminations and economic theories of running an airline.

How about this - pick 10 names out of a hat from the seniority list. Interview each of them, and see if they'd volunteer for a 2-year term in a leadership position. Get more rank and file, and less career unionists, who behave in much the same way as any sleazy senator or congressman. Power and money.

All valid points, Gorilla. I'm more for the hired guns than the names-out-of-a-hat....perhaps a combination of both would take the politician-types a little more out of the picture.

The Union truly is only as good as its' members make it. Elect the right people and for the love of spinners, ostracize the scabs-they poison the process.

Hugh Jorgan said:
Be honest. You don't want to understand anything.

I am being honest. I'd cross a picket line in a second before I let my family suffer because some union guys wanna strike.

I have NEVER heard of anyone putting their loyalty to their coworkers above their family, although I've seen that twisted around to say that crossing a line is evident of them being more loyal to their family than their coworker. Twisted logic at best. It's hard for me to imagine a person failing their family in a bigger way than scabbing in their name when 90% of the other people in their group stand the ground and fight the good fight for....THEIR FAMILIES.

Their families are not my family. I would stand up for what I believed in... MY family. They are welcome to stand up for what they think is right, but don't judge someone else that doesn't think the same way.

When the group acts with solidarity, all of the families benefit. And what do you think of the single scab?

Single scab...I dunno maybe he's a queer, but I suppose he has his reasons too. I see your point of solidarity, but I still can't concieve of staying with a company if things are so bad that you have to strike. I definately would not let my family suffer for any length of time before I made a move. I would rather go do something else. What would you do strike for a couple of years like in previous post, while your family suffers, and then end up going back to the same ole' job when nothing gets accomplished by striking. That's not a risk I would be willing to take. I still don't understand trying to crucify guys that you don't even know when they have their reasons(for crossing a line) that are just as valid as yours(for striking). The whole thing still seems awfully childish and silly to me. To each his own I guess. I still don't understand , but I'll let you guys hash this out. Have fun.

Latest resources

Back