• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I didn't see any pay/benefits on the company website. Can you answer:
- pay scale
- retirement
- stock options
- medical/dental
- schedule: # of days working vs. off, etc..
- any else that is pertinent?

I didn't see any pay/benefits on the company website. Can you answer:
- pay scale
- retirement
- stock options
- medical/dental
- schedule: # of days working vs. off, etc..
- any else that is pertinent?

-pay scale-not 100% sure this is right, but I think it's $27k to start, $31k after 6 months, and around $35k 2nd year.

-retirement-nothing yet, though I've heard vague rumors of a future 401k.

-stock options-nope.

-medical/dental-yes

-schedule-the schedule has been mostly 5 on/2 off, but the goal is 4/3. As more pilots come online the schedule is slowly moving in this direction. Your days off are 'golden' and are not touched by the company and you WILL get home for your days off, not spend them in a hotel somewhere. There are a couple of pilots who occasionally want fly on their days off if they are needed, but they are generally the only ones who are even asked. If the company is in a bind and happens to ask a pilot about flying a day off, a simple "no thanks" ends it right there, no questions asked.

-other pertinent infomation-lots of positive rumors and lots of growth coming. From what I've seen pilots often work long days and often spend 3-4 nights away from home, though some of this will get better as staffing levels increase. The company honestly makes an effort to make life easier for the pilots. While 12 hour duty days are not unusual, 14 hour days are not that common since managment approval is requred to schedule a pilot longer than 12 hours.

Maintenance is good-if something breaks it gets written up and fixed. Hotels are decent, and the company gets rental cars if there is nowhere close to the hotel for food, or if there is no shuttle. If a pilot has a long day with few chances to get food, a crew meal is ordered.

As an example of how the pilot group is treated, in the past few weeks one pilot reqested that he get home on Halloween to T-or-T with his kids and another asked for a schedule that would allow time at home to vote. Though I dont know if it was possible to accomodate these requests, I do know for a fact that an honest attempt was made to work both schedules out. At many 135 operators the requests would have been laughed at and forgotten.

-pay scale-not 100% sure this is right, but I think it's $27k to start, $31k after 6 months, and around $35k 2nd year.

This is based on 4/3. We are paid extra when we have to work the fifth day. I believe it's 33K after six and 36K after 12. After two years the company can't force the fifth day, but you can volunteer to work it if you want extra $$.

Honestly, whats it like flying single pilot? For me the appeal is you are a CA and make the decisions on your own. Am I correct or is SATS AIR regulated to the point that dispatch will make the calls for you. Just seeking information on a what sounds like a good post AF retirement job.

Sincerely,
LAFF

Single pilot, like most things, has its positives and negatives. It can be challenging dealing with everything on your own; although flight coordination helps by dealing with the pax, setting up hotel room, car, etc. The well integrated systems and capabilities of the SR22 help a lot.

We don't have a true dispatch like a part 121 operator does. Our dispatch is a group of "flight coordinators" and even though some may be licensed dispatchers they have no authority on initiating or terminating flights. They wear a lot of hats and do a fantastic job in my opinion. The ones that are actual dispatchers and/or pilots will offer helpful info and suggestions, but will never argue a pilot's call.

BTW -- SATSair was on CNBC the other night; here's the link:

Taking a taxi in the sky

Honestly, whats it like flying single pilot? For me the appeal is you are a CA and make the decisions on your own. Am I correct or is SATS AIR regulated to the point that dispatch will make the calls for you. Just seeking information on a what sounds like a good post AF retirement job.

Sincerely,
LAFF

Single pilot, like most things, has its positives and negatives. It can be challenging dealing with everything on your own; although flight coordination helps by dealing with the pax, setting up hotel room, car, etc. The well integrated systems and capabilities of the SR22 help a lot.

We don't have a true dispatch like a part 121 operator does. Our dispatch is a group of "flight coordinators" and even though some may be licensed dispatchers they have no authority on initiating or terminating flights. They wear a lot of hats and do a fantastic job in my opinion. The ones that are actual dispatchers and/or pilots will offer helpful info and suggestions, but will never argue a pilot's call.

BTW -- SATSair was on CNBC the other night; here's the link:

Taking a taxi in the sky

Thanks. I acutally like doing that type of coordination work. I've done my share of executive officer and aide-de-camp tours for senior officer in the USAF. I was one of those that made the best of the opportunity and it paid off big time career wise and on a personal level...

SATSAir sounds like my type of job...

-LAFF

I got another question...I'm trying to find and track SatsAir planes on flightaware. What call signs do they go by?

Thanks,
LAFF

Their callsign is "Aerocab" and thier ID is SYK.
They normally use single to double digit numbers.

IE" SYK5, SYK17

Their callsign is "Aerocab" and thier ID is SYK.
They normally use single to double digit numbers.

IE" SYK5, SYK17

Thanks...How many hours / how much flying on the days on? Also, can you work extra on your days off? If so - is there an adjusted pay for those times?

Thanks,
LAFF

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back