• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

S Turns in a 737

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
He definitely hammered it on, sideways. I wonder what his sink rate at touchdown was? Oh well, if we haven't done it at one time or another, we will.

But Angus, lighten up. That whole "You weren't in the cockpit or have experience therefore how dare you question the crew in any regard" thing is just so....so...British or something. Half the posts on Brit-dominated PPRUNE run along those lines to excuse (by those who, lacking any sense of irony, also weren't in the cockpit) pretty much every minor or major f**k-up you can think of, no matter how obvious or blatant.

I mean really, pax are well aware that when they land the cabin isn't supposed to look like a room full of 120 woodpeckers pecking in unison when their heads are snapped.

enigma said:
I'll assume that you've landed at LGA, and should know that a nice touchdown is only one of numerous considerations a professional pilot needs consider when arriving there.

Hahaha! Very true.

enigma said:
Sorry that my attempt at humor was lost on you. If your profile is correct, you should recognize that crosswind landings in a wing mounted engine transport catagory jet are somewhat different than crosswind landings in most aircraft a new PVT pilot might fly. BTW, I'll assume that you've landed at LGA, and should know that a nice touchdown is only one of numerous considerations a professional pilot needs consider when arriving there.

enigma

If it was said in humor I apologize, however if you are defending that landing, I don't see the humor. I stick by my statement, many need to learn to use their feet. That was quite the crab angle at touchdown, and it appears that it was a result of some poor technique even considering the aircraft type and limitations. Just because a particular approach is challenging and may have some special considerations, it doesn't change the need for some basic airmanship. Anybody can do a great job under perfect conditions (we'll almost anybody) it's when things get challenging when we need to perform our best.

Last edited:
xjcaptain said:
If it was said in humor I apologize, however if you are defending that landing, I don't see the humor. I stick by my statement, many need to learn to use their feet. That was quite the crab angle at touchdown, and it appears that it was a result of some poor technique even considering the aircraft type and limitations. Just because a particular approach is challenging and may have some special considerations, it doesn't change the need for some basic airmanship. Anybody can do a great job under perfect conditions (we'll almost anybody) it's when things get challenging when we need to perform our best.

That was an attempt at humor, and.............

Actually, I will defend the landing. As I will defend your poor landing. Unless, of course, you've never made a bad one. For me, I've managed some pretty crappy landings in my time.

You know, criticizing this approach and and landing is sort of like criticizing Barry Bonds because he only hits a home-run every 7 at bats. He could do better if he only knew how to hold his wrists, etc. yadayadayada.

"Yee who is without sin, cast the first stone"

maybe, I'll make that my signature:)
enigma

I don't recall saying I've never made a bad landing, far from it. But I don't say it's ok that it was a crappy landing because of.........(pick your excuse). If I blow it, I say well that sucked, I better do it better next time. You know what they say about excuses.....They are just like a..holes, everybody has one.

I did a side slip the other day.... been a while since I did a forward slip....or is it the other way around? ;)

B

My best landing yet.
First flight in a ERJ145. Had 9month vacation prior 'cause of 9/11. First time into LGA too. Previous to 9/11 I flew a SAAB. Sight picture landing was a little off. I was just getting ready to flair when we hit. CFIT. IOE Capt. must carry his balls around in a wagon 'cause he didn't even flinch before we hit. (did it again a few weeks ago...need to quit pullin the J8 breaker)

Last edited:
for my other job, I'm a flight attendant, and I've been on several jets doing S-turns. I haven't had a passenger complain yet, amazingly enough. When we have the wrong movie, or are out of bloody mary mix, they complain. A few S turns on final, and nobody says anything.

737 landing

For the benefit of the original poster, who has but 55 hours, you really don't use the wing-low method of crosswind touchdowns that you might use in your 172 in a 737. I asked that of a 737 pilot many years ago when I was a curious new pilot. The reason is obvious when you think about it; you might hit an engine.

Wait until you get a good crosswind day and have your instructor demonstrate the kickout method of crosswind landings.

The 737's touchdown might not have been the greatest, but, after all, isn't any landing that you can walk away from a good landing??

Having said that, recently we had an AA DC-9 or something land short and take out approach lights at DEN. I don't remember all the particulars, but there was an ATC sequencing issue, which caused an unstabilized approach to be set up. I believe a go-around was offered to the DC-9 and it was refused. My reaction would have been to go around - but that would have been me.

Last edited:
bobbysamd said:
For the benefit of the original poster, who has but 55 hours, you really don't use the wing-low method of crosswind touchdowns that you might use in your 172 in a 737. I asked that of a 737 pilot many years ago when I was a curious new pilot. The reason is obvious when you think about it; you might hit an engine.

Wait until you get a good crosswind day and have your instructor demonstrate the kickout method of crosswind landings.

Actually, if you look at the gear position and with the aircraft at a normal AOA for touchdown, the gear will shield the engine nicely from contact. There's no problem landing wing-low. I think (referring to the original video) the landing sucked, but I've sucked at times, everyone has. To either overly criticize, or overly defend, I think both are incorrect.

Personally, I think a go-around was in order. Sometimes pride gets in the way of that decision, and it should never do so.

"I used to do TGU month after month 15 times each month. That was before they cut down the mountain."

That was even more fun :)

My compliments.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back