• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Rough times at United

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Everybody and their brother wants tip these days, from Chaquita at Quizno's ito the stoner dude at Subway. I'm also hate tipping every time I turn around. Here's a good tip, get a real job. I was self emplyed all the way thru college. Work for yourself and you won't have to worry about tips. I didn't have 2 nickels to rub together but got a loan at a bank when I was 20 and ran a business all the way thru college. My business didn't make me rich, far from it as a matter of fact, but I made a lot more than any hourly worker and probably did half the work. I have worked many hourly jobs from delivering pizza to working at a grocery store, these jobs are what motivated to me start a small business. If I can do it and be somewhat successful anyone can.

Last edited:
How did they get hired at FedEx?

Same way everyone else did. HR, management, etc. at Fedex, UAL or anywhere else doesn't give a rats @ss if a pilot scabbed. You'd hope if the Captains doing the interviews were ALPA, they'd shoot them down but obviously that doesn't always happen.

Check your UAL scab list. You've got Eastern and Continental scabs too. How did they get hired at UAL?

Same way everyone else did. HR, management, etc. at Fedex, UAL or anywhere else doesn't give a rats @ss if a pilot scabbed. You'd hope if the Captains doing the interviews were ALPA, they'd shoot them down but obviously that doesn't always happen.

Check your UAL scab list. You've got Eastern and Continental scabs too. How did they get hired at UAL?

I don't think those scumbags got "hired" per se. They probably just crossed my predecessors' picket line in '85. I doubt they would get past a "regular" interview simply because it used to be a one pilot/one HR interview set-up. But maybe my timeline is screwed up?

I was asking you because I was surprised you guys wouldn't have pilots on your hiring board to put the kabosh on any scab getting hired.......

Tipping is out of control. Obviously I always tip the van drivers and usually tip most servers generously (i.e. 20-30%) but I don't agree with it. All service and taxes should be reflected in the cost of everything. This is how it is in many countries

Why should anyone have to pay a van driver to take them to a hotel. The hotel should pay the van driver a normal wage, and this cost should be reflected in the hotel rates. Why should these costs be passed on to the airline employees. It is a cost of doing business that we should not be paying for.

Part of me admires anyone who refuses to tip. I hate feeling pressure to tip for everything I buy.

What do you mean you don't tip, Mr. Pink?

You clowns are pathetic. It's a lousy buck. You cry about "the race to the bottom", and "the pajama people" riding your airplanes, and yet you're advocating stiffing the van drivers .

Even worse, you're complainign about tipping the same lousy buck that guys were tipping back in he 1980's. Pretty pathetic.

I typically tip two or three dollars. I also leave a buck for the maid. Why? Because I feel very fortunate (always have) and I don't mind spreading a little sunshine around . . . . seems to me like it always comes back to me in one way or another . . . . and I'll bet your pathetic cheapness comes back to you, too, you just don't realize it.

I really don't mind tipping, but it truly got out of hand the way it is being done to everybody nowadays.

Transport to and from the airport is in my opinion the responsibility of the company, nevertheless i still tip them mostly. The guys on the airport property at our home base that truly do run faster than that they should (according to paygrade) get a something extra during the holidays from me, something like $30-40 but that's only once a year and these guys drive to often to give them a tip for each occurence.

As far as the scab thing, I too feel that being a scab voids your rights that any union negotiates. I have no compassion for them, but it;s not like the unions or the companies actually do anything to/with them. So there is no incentive for us to do so either.

What do you mean you don't tip, Mr. Pink?

:laugh: LMAO:laugh: sounds just like the script!!!!

NICE GUY EDDIE Okay, everybody cough up green for the little lady. Everybody whips out a buck, and throws it on the table. Everybody, that is, except Mr. Pink.
NICE GUY EDDIE C'mon, throw in a buck.
MR. PINK Uh-uh. I don't tip.
NICE GUY EDDIE Whaddaya mean you don't tip?
MR. PINK I don't believe in it.
NICE GUY EDDIE You don't believe in tipping?
MR. BLONDE (laughing) I love this kid, he's a madman, this guy.
MR. WHITE Do you have any idea what these ladies make? They make S#%T.
MR. PINK Don't give me that. She don't make enough money, she can quit. Everybody laughs.
NICE GUY EDDIE I don't even know a Jew who'd have the balls to say that. So let's get this straight. You never ever tip?
MR. PINK I don't tip because society says I gotta. I tip when somebody deserves a tip. When somebody really puts forth an effort, they deserve a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, that S---'s for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doin their job.
MR. BLUE Our girl was nice.
MR. PINK Our girl was okay. She didn't do anything special.
MR. BLUE What's something special, take ya in the kitchen and suck your D---? They all laugh.
NICE GUY EDDIE I'd go over twelve percent for that.
MR. PINK Look, I ordered coffee. Now we've been here a long F#&%N time, and she's only filled my cup three times. When I order coffee, I want it filled six times.
MR. WHITE What if she's too busy?
MR. PINK The words "too busy" shouldn't be in a waitress's vocabulary.
NICE GUY EDDIE Excuse me, Mr. White, but the last thing you need is another cup of coffee. They all laugh.
MR. PINK These ladies aren't starvin to death. They make minimum wage. When I worked for minimum wage, I wasn't lucky enough to have a job that society deemed tipworthy.
NICE GUY EDDIE Ahh, now we're getting down to it. It's not just that he's a cheap bastard—
MR. ORANGE --It is that too—
NICE GUY EDDIE --It is that too. But it's also he couldn't get a waiter job. You talk like a pissed off dishwasher: "F--- those C$%#S and their F#&%G tips."
MR. BLUE So you don't care that they're counting on your tip to live? Mr. White rubs two of his fingers together.
MR. PINK Do you know what this is? It's the world's smallest violin, playing just for the waitresses.
MR. WHITE You don't have any idea what you're talking about. These people bust their ARSE. This is a hard job.
MR. PINK So's working at McDonald's, but you don't feel the need to tip them. They're servin ya food, you should tip em. But no, society says tip these guys over here, but not those guys over there. That's bullS---.
MR. ORANGE They work harder than the kids at McDonald's.
MR. PINK Oh yeah, I don't see them cleaning fryers.
MR. BROWN These people are taxed on the tips they make. When you stiff 'em, you cost them money.
MR. WHITE Waitressing is the number one occupation for female non-college graduates in this country. It's the one job basically any woman can get, and make a living on. The reason is because of tips.
MR. PINK F--- all that. They all laugh.
MR. PINK Hey, I'm very sorry that the government taxes their tips. That's f F#&%D up. But that ain't my fault. it would appear that waitresses are just one of the many groups the government F---s in the ARSE on a regular basis. You show me a paper says the government shouldn't do that, I'll sign it. Put it to a vote, I'll vote for it. But what I won't do is play ball. And this non- college bullS--- you're telling me, I got two words for that: "Learn to F#&%N type." Cause if you're expecting me to help out with the rent, you're in for a big F#&%N surprise.
MR. ORANGE He's convinced me. Give me my dollar back. Everybody laughs. Joe's comes back to the table.
JOE Okay ramblers, let's get to rambling. Wait a minute, who didn't throw in?
MR. ORANGE Mr. Pink.
JOE (to Mr. Orange) Mr. Pink? (to Mr. Pink) Why?
MR. ORANGE He don't tip.
JOE (to Mr. Orange) He don't tip? (to Mr. Pink) You don't tip? Why?
MR. ORANGE He don't believe in it.
JOE (to Mr. Orange) He don't believe in it? (to Mr. White) You don't believe in it?
MR. ORANGE Nope.
JOE (to Mr. Orange) Shut up! (to Mr. Pink) Cough up the buck, ya cheap bastard, I paid for your godd--- breakfast.
MR. PINK Because you paid for the breakfast, I'm gonna tip. Normally I wouldn't.
JOE Whatever. Just throw in your dollar, and let's move. (to Mr. WHITE) See what I'm dealing with here. Infants. I'm F#&%N dealin with infants.

dialog from Quentin Tarantino's
R E S E R V O I R D O G S

:laugh: you guys crack me up!

I don't think those scumbags got "hired" per se. They probably just crossed my predecessors' picket line in '85. I doubt they would get past a "regular" interview simply because it used to be a one pilot/one HR interview set-up. But maybe my timeline is screwed up?

I was asking you because I was surprised you guys wouldn't have pilots on your hiring board to put the kabosh on any scab getting hired.......

I wish it was as you said - but it isn't. At either company, BTW. Do you have a UAL scab list? You guys have many who were hired well after the 85 strike. They didn't get on the property at UAL by crossing any picket line. They were hired by the "regular" interview. Everyone knows the HR person wore the pants at the UAL interviews during the late 80s/early 90s. Many pilots doing the interviews were management and didn't care about the scab status of a candidate.
Here are a few examples you can check for yourself. Look at the seniority list and check the DOH for these guys. These file #s are CAL scabs hired well after the 85 strike: 104575 (hired Jan89), 54093(Jun86), 136418, 110733(Jul89), 147530(Dec92) and that just gets into the "B" last names. Here's an EAL scab just for good measure: 113588(Jan/90).

Not to lecture but.... Don't you think as a UAL pilot (are you a Captain there or somewhere else on furlough?), you should be aware of this stuff and make a effort to check guys out before you give them a jumpseat or start chatting it up with them in ops? Some of them got back into ALPA and have the pin but that doesn't mean they get to ride or given the time of day. They're still f##king scabs.

Latest resources

Back