• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Rolling Rest Flexjet Pilot Alert

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
plenty of people i am sure have held off on writing something up until they got to a maintenance base. isn't that what happened?

What I heard was that he wrote it up, called the FDOM, called the ACP, then called the POI at the FAA to tell him that he had flown the plane after he wrote it up!!!!

I've had MX ask me to position airplanes with "known discrepancies" too many times to count. Why? because they have no responsibility in doing so. look what happened to him. MX told him to position it, he did, and he got fired for it. Now the company will be signing a check out of our next raise to this guy.

I've had MX ask me to position airplanes with "known discrepancies" too many times to count. Why? because they have no responsibility in doing so. look what happened to him. MX told him to position it, he did, and he got fired for it. Now the company will be signing a check out of our next raise to this guy.

Maintenance doesn't govern pilots. They may persuade us to do things to make their job easier. It's the PIC's (and FO's) authority to fly or not, not a wrench turner. D.I. won't be getting any lawsuit $ for flying an airplane with an admitted airworthiness issue.

Snapper heads at my old freight job would ask us to repo airplanes with inop. trim, etc. to a maintenance base. No can do.

The company gives you a designated rest period be it 10 hours 14 or whatever. You are never required to answer the phone from the time they put you in rest until you go on duty. If you do answer the phone, you're only setting yourself up for trouble, especially if you and your crew are tired. You going to call them too? Not your responsibility. Some of these captains always answer the phone and never say no. They are the floating rest violaters and they will try to call the FO and the FA and get them up too. Not their job. They are the ones calling the company while they are in rest as well. Again, asking for trouble.The company FOM says they may contact you legally as long as there is 8 hours uninterupted rest. You never have to answer or have your phone on for that matter. The only time I would call the company would be in the last two hours of my rest block to see if things have changed. Why go to the airport and find that the trip was delayed or cancelled? It's floating rest only when you answer the phone and you call the company while in your rest period.

seahawk you work here right? so if you have a noon flight, you dont turn your phone on until 10am? I doubt it, you'd be fired by now

You're exactly right

The company gives you a designated rest period be it 10 hours 14 or whatever. You are never required to answer the phone from the time they put you in rest until you go on duty. If you do answer the phone, you're only setting yourself up for trouble, especially if you and your crew are tired. You going to call them too? Not your responsibility. Some of these captains always answer the phone and never say no. They are the floating rest violaters and they will try to call the FO and the FA and get them up too. Not their job. They are the ones calling the company while they are in rest as well. Again, asking for trouble.The company FOM says they may contact you legally as long as there is 8 hours uninterupted rest. You never have to answer or have your phone on for that matter. The only time I would call the company would be in the last two hours of my rest block to see if things have changed. Why go to the airport and find that the trip was delayed or cancelled? It's floating rest only when you answer the phone and you call the company while in your rest period.

If a company “requires” a pilot to do anything while in an assigned rest period (answer the phone, answer the door, be available, stay in touch, etc.) that pilot is technically on standby. That is the simple truth.

All the FLOPS pilots knew that before they organized. Some pilots ignored the company’s illegal rolling rest. Most did not because they were afraid.

Now that FLOPS is organized, most pilots ignore the rolling rest. Some still do not. But for the most part, rolling rest is a thing of the past at FLOPS.

Doyle, that is wrong! He had every right to ground it in MMSD. He was wrong. Does mx pressure you into taking a broke airplane?Not me!! If it cant be differed, not going. Rule of life!This one is black and white, pilot pulls a stupid out of his a$$ and gets fired! No one has talked about the fact it was his last day, and he was starting his vacation. Funny how many airplanes will only break in addison.

seahawk you work here right? so if you have a noon flight, you dont turn your phone on until 10am? I doubt it, you'd be fired by now

Well I am still here. What makes you think you have to answer the phone when you have an assignment that will take you off duty at 2am. I would rather be fired then fly fatigued and potentially ruin my career and kill everybody. The way the rules are written now, you have to take control of your own rest management. Those schedulers look at what is legal on their computer screens and can try to call you. That doesn't mean I am safe to fly and have to answer the phone. If I am fired, well I will have enough documentation to make for a nice severance package. It's not worth it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back