• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Rolling Rest Flexjet Pilot Alert

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This happens alot too: You get done at 2pm and dispatch says, "In rest at 5pm Local". Well, what is it that I'm doing between 2 and 5?? I'm not on duty but, I'm not in rest either, per their interpretation. They CAN and HAVE called me at 4pm for a position leg. Check out of the hotel, go back to the airport, blah blah blah. IT'S BS people. THIS CRAP HAS TO STOP.

Here's a scenario for you too. Lets say Flex calls you in your 8th hour of rest. You don't answer. They try calling you for 2 hours until, magically at that 10th hour you answer. Why can't I say, "I was taking my morning jog."??? Because if you do this enough, Flexjet WILL get rid of you somehow.

I'll tell you something else they do that goes over really well. The 502AM showtime on the first day so they don't have to pay you the lousy $200 for the first day "rule".

I'm not saying that Flex is a bad place to work but; to me, the rolling rest problem is the worst thing about this place. I would have forgone a raise to get what Netjets has for rest rules.

Last edited:
They still have the right to plan you for 14 more hours starting at 1900, so let see that would put back into a manditory rest at 0900 the next morning. According to .267 that is perfectly legal from the operators stand point.

Now and this is where I can't stand pilots. I know it is not safe to run for 26 hours and some change with no sleep, but what I find is no one has the stones to say no that is not safe. Normally I have to hear the sob story after the fact how the company is running them unsafe, blah blah blah............

......The type of operation you are working for has a product and that product is ON DEMAND AIRPLANES. This is just the reality of what we have signed up for. Now don't misconstrue what I am saying. Don't let the company abuse you but don't complain when it is time to go to work either even if going to work has changed in the last hour.

One problem with your example; There are no on-demand 135 operators that I know of that will call a pilot after lolly gagging for umpteen hours and say "A plane broke down and we have stranded passengers. We have a pop-up trip for you in 10 hours, you're now in rest." That would be nice (and legal too). But, it is not real world because the status quo is not scheduling trips based on looking back when it is supposed to be all based on looking back.

Last edited:
Let me tell you guys from someone who was supposed to have a target on my back. You will not get fired for not answering the phone. If I was tired I didnt answer. If I was fatigued I told them so. If I felt rested for flying I answered. That wasnt to often by the way. If its broke write it up.

I was on the wonderful CAB and spoke my mind. But, I did my job with safety being number one. So I wasnt fired. If I was a scew up then I am sure I would have been fired. Then again I escaped and am very happy. How is RH doing now? DP didnt last long.

Last edited:
That sucks. Its funny because I always had the bullseye on me. People thought for sure I was fired. Especially after I told them how crappy the raise was the first time NJ got a huge bump. Who knows why I wasnt fired?

Gunfyter,
Some of them will never get it. I used to talk until I was blue in the face about this rest issue. To no avail. The only thing management would say is that "we cant operate like NJ does." Hopefully they wont learn the hard way about tired pilots.

Hey Mike, how's southwest treating you? Are you glad you left Flex?? haha!

Oh yeah. And the captain that was just fired from Flexjet was a HUGE union supporter. Hmm, I wonder if that had anything to do with him getting fired?? DUHH. We still need a union people.

Last edited:
To All, I've been on the march to make it better before. It worked, but it took five years and 90 days walking the line. Just look at the facts boys. If we dont stand together now, we get nothin. Let's go for it.

The recent firing is absolute proof that we need a union more than ever. We have zero job protection. This company is fire-happy, and without a union we can't do anything about it. SEND IN YOUR CARDS.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back