Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BoilerUP

Citation style...
I have a PNT 737 Stealth bag, which I bought because it fits in the overhead and under the seats of both the E145 and CRJ families...and because I frankly don't trust ramp rats in a hub with my RON bag.

I've had flight attendants on Pinnacle, TSA, and most recently PSA all give me a huge amount of hassle for wanting to bring my bag onboard to stash in the overhead. Each time I've been in uniform with my ID, and each time I've been told "it won't fit". I try to very nicely tell them that yes, in fact it will fit as I've done it before and fly the same kind of airplane....but then the story changes to either "There's no room" or "Our policy is no roller bags in the cabin" or "It'll be a weight and balance issue" or some other excuse. I've never had this issue carrying my RON bag onboard Eagle, Chautauqua, or Comair.

I'm always thankful for a free ride regardless of the operator or where my bag rides, so I haven't felt a need to bring petty things like this to the Captain's attention. I'm just curious, though, if there really are policies like this at certain companies....or is the FA is just exerting his "authority" on an offline JS?

Psa's policy is no roller boards because of weight in balance issues. You see we have different weights from the Faa, becuase we don't allow them on board. This in return makes it possible to take you without being weight restricted, like chatauqua always is in there 200 on longer legs with an alt. Hope that helps

TSA's policy is no rollaboards in the cabin.

Pinnacle's OP Specs have clearly spell out the carry on bag allowances and policy.

It's a wt/balance issue.

The FAs are correct. You can not carry it onboard for any reason.

Weight & balance programs, industry-wide are getting sillier and more capricious every year. We really need more harmony as an industry on this issue. Varying pax weights, bag weights, legal stowage on one airline is illiegal at another on the same aircraft type. The feds have made it impossible to provide a level standard of customer service. It's retarded.

Besides the legality issues it's a matter of practicality. RJ's generally have short turn times and often use air stairs for boarding. If everyone brought aboard a roll-abord, half would fit and half wouldn't. The people who bring the bags that fit slow the operation squeezing their bags in the overhead bin. The people whose bags don't fit slow the operation bringing the bag forward for the Flight Attendant (who already told you it wouldn't fit) who has to take it down the stairs.

RJ's overhead bins suck, plan on leaving them outside and things move a lot smoother.

Weight & balance programs, industry-wide are getting sillier and more capricious every year. We really need more harmony as an industry on this issue. Varying pax weights, bag weights, legal stowage on one airline is illiegal at another on the same aircraft type. The feds have made it impossible to provide a level standard of customer service. It's retarded.

Actually, this whole issue was brought to a head by the B1900 that hit the hanger in CLT. One of the NTSB's findings in fact was the AC was more than likely overweight and out of CG due to an ill managed carry on/weight and balance program. The FAA subsequently launched a nation wide campaign making every operator of AC with aft cargo bins (regionals) re-certify their weight and balance programs. All operaters are required to use new CG envelopes that are 'curtailed' or more restrective than the manufacturers. Passenger weights were also increased. The amount of the increase was determined by the carry on program used by the carrier. At carriers that strictly limit cabin carry ons, and count them as cargo, the passenger weight increase was minimal. Carriers that allow roll aboards in the cabin were forced to increase their average passenger weight significantly. The stage length individual carriers fly had an influence on which option the carrier chose. Those that fly long legs in a CRJ 200 LR, like Pinnacle with a number of routes of 2+30 airborne, had little choice but to limit cabin carry ons strictly.

The short answer is - if the FA tells you the bag goes in the back it is because that is what is in the carriers FAA aproved weight and balance program. If the FAA audits the flight and finds the bag in the cabin the carrier is fined, the FA probably fired and the CA gets a LOI for violating the weight and balance manual. Don't ask them to take that risk. And yes - that is exactly what has happened. The FAA takes this very seriously.

Last edited:
Also, especially on the ERJs, it'd be nice for the other 5 people sharing your overhead bin to actually have a place to put their small stuff like coats, too. A rollaboard will totally fill up that bin.

Latest resources

Back