RJ reverse thrust... overdose!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aa73

The other day we were waiting to cross 4 at LGA and this USAir ERJ lands.... and he about blew our ears off with the amount of reverse! despite using maybe half of the runway. Now, I've noticed this while riding in the back of CRJs/ERJs, but it seems like you guys practically go to 2.00 EPR on reverse, even if your touchdown speed is in the low 120s... and then the reverse is only on for like, 4 seconds! Is that really necessary, or do you guys just like to hear your engines roar. Not criticism, just curious.

We don't reference EPRs. Don't even have the gauges. Just pull back all the way for a short time.

have you heard your brakes in the S80's at AA? it sounds to me like you use no reverse at all. squeak squeal all the while taxiing. no criticism, just curious.

besides these are NEW jets. what's EPR?

keep picking up open time with 3000 comrAAdes on the street.

Pop the buckets but dont spool up the engines in reverse unless you need to(i.e last leg of a 4-day and you need to catch a flight home) :D . It is really loud in the back and you typically dont need them on normal day.

Depends, at LGA it seems like you can never get off the runway fast enough, but at other airports, I will always open the reversers, but how much I wind them up will depend on where the turn off I need/want is.

I agree with your assesment....Even though I'm just a gear jockey I see a lot of captains bury the TRs, some even pop them out 5 seconds after touchdown only to spool them up all the way at about 70 kts with about 6,000' of RWY looking us in the face. Our procedures however state that idle reverse should be used unless previoulsy briefed.

Of course there are certain circumstances (ie wet rwy) or the crappy 145-ER brakes that heat up in summer when it makes sense to spool'em up.

Maybe they haven't sat in the back lately, it's really anoying sitting in rows 17-19.

We don't use anything more than idle reverse at Air Willy unless the runway is under 6000 feet.

Yeah... I was wondering about the brakes on the -80s as well. Seems like when you're coming to a stop... the whole airplane shakes like a dog sh1tting razor blades!

ohplease! said:
cheaper than brakes....

Tell that to the folks that manufacture the several million dollars worth of propulsion on your aircraft.

I've been told that full reverse is EXTREMELY hard on most jet engines. That doesn't mean you shouldn't use it if you need to, but a half empty aircraft landing in daylight on a dry 10,000 foot runway is not "needing to".

Eagle is only on runways 7000' or less or contaminated runways/caps discretion. Brakes work just fine, or idle reverse if ya want.

Latest resources

Back