Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
EagleRJ said:

Useless trivia:
Does anyone know the only airplane that can back up on the ground, even though it is not equipped with thrust reversers or reversing propellers?

The mighty B-17

JAFI

EagleRJ said:
Completely under its own power, and yes- it's an airplane.

Hint: it doesn't move backward in a straight line....

Okay I was going to guess the V-22 Osprey but you're thinking something more strange for sure.

I'll take a stab here...

EDIT: Removed answer, to embarassing of choice on second thought! :cool:

Last edited:
JAFI's got it.

Crews in the Fortress could bring the #1 or #4 engine up to full power while locking that side's wheel brake, and the plane would yaw, causing the other wheel to roll back a few feet. By alternating that procedure, you could slowly back the plane up into a parking spot. Crews did that to cope with tight parking situations at the airfields in England.

Had me stumped. Good one.

But, yeow! That's rough! Hopefully that was a last resort option as well.

JAFI's got it.

Crews in the Fortress could bring the #1 or #4 engine up to full power while locking that side's wheel brake, and the plane would yaw, causing the other wheel to roll back a few feet. By alternating that procedure, you could slowly back the plane up into a parking spot. Crews did that to cope with tight parking situations at the airfields in England.

It's not the only plane that has done it though. My dad did it in a B-24 in early 1945 on his way to England. He tells the story a lot better than me ( obviously, he was there ). Essentially they had to back out of a tight spot in Canada with no other method available to them.

TP

typhoonpilot said:
It's not the only plane that has done it though. My dad did it in a B-24 in early 1945 on his way to England. He tells the story a lot better than me ( obviously, he was there ). Essentially they had to back out of a tight spot in Canada with no other method available to them.

TP

Exactly. I'd imagine that thoretically, any airplane with its engines outside of the landing gear can do it. The Dojet will do it.

the reason they roll forward is to be sure that the nose wheel is locked straight before powering back, it is also still a common practice in the Md80 and DC9 if they are certified to do so for their company

GravityHater said:
Do you have the opspecs on board (I'm doubtful), or do you have to call dispatch to read/interpret it, for something that is rarely used and maybe forgotten?

It is required under part 121 and 135 to have a current ops specs and GOM on board during all operations

User997 said:
We've used it before (Citation II) to back into a parking space after arriving at our destination after the FBO closed and no one to push us back.

you backed up a Citation II ? did you have wing walkers, proper training and..... what is the minimum speed in the C500 for TR deployment

one final thought, who paid for the paint job that you destroyed on the airplane you were "flying "

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back