reverse thrusters

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Goods2000 said:
you backed up a Citation II ? did you have wing walkers, proper training and..... what is the minimum speed in the C500 for TR deployment

one final thought, who paid for the paint job that you destroyed on the airplane you were "flying "
Goods, I can't help but feel your being fesecious in your reply, but I will respond to your reply none the less. You must not fly charter or corporate, cause if you did you would understand sometimes you have to improvise a little bit to get something done.

I stated "sometimes, you gotta do, what you gotta do" and although I don't believe in doing things that aren't recommended, sometimes all you can do is improvise.

We arrived at an FBO at an uncontrolled field at 11:00pm one night. It was a small ramp with parking only on one side, where a couple of smaller airplanes were parked. The airplanes were spaced far enough apart not to be in danger, but they were also jsut close enough we couldn't "turn" into the parking spot. So we did the best job we could and got it turned to where it could be backed into the spot. Unfortunately, that left us smack dab in the middle of the ramp, blocking any traffic that would try to come in or leave tomorrow.

Having cleared both sides and behind us on the taxi in to make sure nothing was in the way, we activated the thrust reversers for just a couple seconds and we very nicely backed right into our spot, far from being close to hitting the two planes on either side of the wing.

As discussed previously, 60 kts is the minimum speed at which the TR should be deployed, or stowed on a deceleration. And as stated in my previous case, I do understand its so that foreign debris doesn't get ingested. But what were we to do in that situation.

So, if you were in our situation, how would you have handled that differently? And I'm asking seriously, not argumenatively.

Last edited:
King air I fly we use Reverser's to back up the plane all the time. Especially this one airport we go to. It's how we get into our parking spot. Middle of nowhere and line service is you.

It's not the same as a jet but the props take a serious sand blasting.

One night when i was in the 200 my boss went down the wrong row of parked planes. The tower asked him if he needed to send out a tug to get us turned around. My boss said nope. I got it. The tower said it was the only time he'd seen a plane do a 3 point turn to get out of HVN.

I understand the dilema, however, the power required to go from a stop to rolling backward is not only a FOD issue, all of the little rocks, sand and what not on a ramp will get kicked up and onto the aircraft.

A few seconds of TR's will not be enough to move you backward, It would require a fairly lengthy application at a high power setting.

If your only option is to park in the middle of the ramp so be it, either call in the night line personel, or if none are available, leave the aircraft parked and leave a contact number for you to be reached at if someone has a problem with where you are parked. I think it is a better option than potential damage to a multi , million dollar aircraft and engine

That is how I would handle the situation

The even more crazy part was it was at night.

Remember don't touch the brakes.

I'm not for sure if you ever flew a jet before with TR's, but YES they can be moved backwards (especially a lighter corproate jet) while using the reveresers for a short period of time.

There were no million dollar aircraft around, and probably the most expensive plane on the ramp was a 70's model 172. Far enough away that they wouldn't get blasted by sand, rocks, etc. I dont know if your thinking of this as a traditional ramp, but the "backside" of the parking spot was all grass, then a taxiway. So we wouldn't spray any aircraft behind us, and there was nothing in front of us but an old closed up hangar (probably 50-75 ft in front of us).

But I will concede that you have a good idea about leaving a note for the ground crew and leaving it where it was at, however there was no "after hours" line that we could call for the lineman. Our concern was leaving our airplane out in the middle of these guys ramp, knowing they weren't coming to work until 7:00 the next morning, and what if another jet pulled in the meantime, and we've now created a road block for all concerned.

It's a mute point now I suppose. :) There was no damage to the engines, paint job, other aircraft, or egos involved.

I doubt ice 'n snow are very gentle on the props, but who hasn't used gobs of reverse at low speeds to stay on a taxiway on an icy night?

Goods2000 said:
the reason they roll forward is to be sure that the nose wheel is locked straight before powering back, it is also still a common practice in the Md80 and DC9 if they are certified to do so for their company

Rolling forward has nothing to do with the position of the nosewheel. As previously mentioned, it's to roll off the tires flat spots, which requires less power to back up. I've done hundreds of them in the DC9 & 717.

Latest resources

Back