reverse thrusters

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Jeff Helgeson said:
We used to use RT sometimes at TWA to push back at certain cities. It requires training for the ground personnel, they must wear googles, and know a few additional hand signals.

1.3 EPR for break-away, then 1.2. Feet off the rudder/brake peddles. Come out of reverse and use fwd thrust to stop a/c and move forward, again.

727= "1.4, feet on the floor, brakes no more":)

Stupid question number 2.

While watching NW's DC-9s do this, I've noticed that they role forward briefly before opening the reversers. What's the reason for this?

The one thing that no one has mentioned is that for any company (135 or 121) to be able to power back, they must be authorized to do so under Ops Spec C065 "Use powerplant reversing systems for rearward taxi in specific aircraft operations".

In addition, at air carriers where I have worked that had this authorization, our Ops Manual also specified which aircraft, which airports and even which specific gates we were authorized to power back from. There were also wind and ramp contamination limitations.

However, as someone else mentioned, this procedure is not used much anymore.

I had been told that rolling forward before reversing was to ensure that the nosewheel was straight before going back. Guess I got some bad info.

You got bad info indeed.

AirTran used to powerback in ATL from all but a few gates, we had almost no tugs. Powerbacks saved a minute or two but used too much fuel. We still do them, rarely, if there isn't a tug available.

A pilot told me that the thust reversers at slow speed suckd in a lot of FOD, and was bad for engines?
Is this as great of a concern as extra fuel burn?

I was in an MD-80 (AA) at DFW about 2 years ago and we powered back. First time I'd ever seen such a thing. Neat, though.

Latest resources

Back