Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cforst513

Giggity giggity goo!!!
i seem to remember that back when i was younger some of the jets i flew on, namely some super 80's, didn't need the assistance of a truck to push them out from the gate, they just used their reverse thrusters. lately, however, even on little ERJ-140s, they use the truck. what justifies a jet having to use reverse to leave the gate? is it up to the captain's discretion? is it limited by plane weight/passenger weight/cargo weight, that kind of stuff?

It's mostly AA

If you say "Super 80", you were riding on AA. They also used to do that with the B727. It is all about procedure and tugs. If you have the ground equipment, it is easier and cheaper to push the a/c back.

We used to use RT sometimes at TWA to push back at certain cities. It requires training for the ground personnel, they must wear googles, and know a few additional hand signals.

1.3 EPR for break-away, then 1.2. Feet off the rudder/brake peddles. Come out of reverse and use fwd thrust to stop a/c and move forward, again.

I think the only time that I have been on a plane that used the TR's to push back was with Airtran or Valuejet..not sure which name it was at the time. I asked a friend of mine that now flies for Airtran about that and I think he said something about it being harder on the engines. Also it is noisy as heck.

*Stupid Question Alert*

Is that the "power back"? As in "ramp is uncontrolled, do not call for push or power back".

-mini

You are correct

minitour said:
*Stupid Question Alert*

Is that the "power back"? As in "ramp is uncontrolled, do not call for push or power back".

-mini

I still think it is good procedure to notify ATC about the power back for safety reasons.

Also,
1. Uses more fuel
2. During high crosswinds engines prone to compressor stalls
3. Ramp area must be pretty clean to avoid flying FOD

minitour said:
...so is that a "yes, that's what it's called"?

Yes, it's called Powerback or Powering out.

Remember a while back on the dc-9-30 out of MSP riding in the back, we pushed from the gate under our own power....only time I can recall ever seeing this or experiencing it. Doesn't seem to be used much anymore.

Latest resources

Back