• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Retirement #'s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You old dried up washed out jelly bellies need to hit the street.......You had your turn now get the *&^ out of my seat.

New York times, wall street journal...they have to cut medicare to fund the new programs, I sh67 you not, read it a couple of weeks ago. Look it up, google!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

june 30, 2010 Senate Minority Leader John Bohener(SP) Enough facts and details for ya?

Sounds like you are a little bitter. I was flying for a top tier major way before I even turned 30

Are you one of those people that went to one of the regionals with a "quick upgrade" (undercutters), which was half of the reason this "profession" has become a "job"? (the other half being the major's allowing their jobs to be outsourced to the lowest bidders).

june 30, 2010 Senate Minority Leader John Bohener(SP) Enough facts and details for ya?

It looks as though he is talking about the age for full social security benefits. I don't see where he speaks to airline pilot retirement age.

You old dried up washed out jelly bellies need to hit the street.......You had your turn now get the *&^ out of my seat.

A friendly word of advice, just because you fly for a regional doesn't mean you are entitled to a different job. In fact, I know most major airlines hiring process is a pretty extensive process and they are primarily trying to be sure they don't hire pilots with the type of attitude your post displays, i.e. name calling, a sense of entitlement about "my seat" and bragging about ass whooping. If that's an example of who you are, you simply are not qualified to fly for a Major airline.
How about a little respect for pilots that have accomplished something you may or may not be capable of, a full career. They earned that seat, you haven't.

A friendly word of advice, just because you fly for a regional doesn't mean you are entitled to a different job. In fact, I know most major airlines hiring process is a pretty extensive process and they are primarily trying to be sure they don't hire pilots with the type of attitude your post displays, i.e. name calling, a sense of entitlement about "my seat" and bragging about ass whooping. If that's an example of who you are, you simply are not qualified to fly for a Major airline.
How about a little respect for pilots that have accomplished something you may or may not be capable of, a full career. They earned that seat, you haven't.

Not to be personal as this is not but "Earned you say?" Please don't talk to me about "paying dues." This is a sole industry who rewards people NOT for hard work but for "timing". I/many have over 13 years and $100,000's invested in this career and are stuck in the bottom of the industry with nearly unlivable wages thanks to your generation's greed. Many of my generation were never as disgruntled or developed a "sense of entitlement" until the greedy soles who couldn't fund their lifestyles on $300,000 a year fought for longer careers to redeem their piss poor spending habits. There are elements of your career that were out of your control but unity and ball$ could have saved its downward spiral. I blame myself for choosing this career but I blame your generation of aviators for dragging this career to the trenches. You sold out your children's generation for your own. Hopefully my generation will hold onto their ball$ a little tighter and preserve what scraps we have left to devourer. Maybe my career choices were a mistake perhaps in time they will prove to be worthy. But either way I will continue to fight and make this a "livable" career since being "desirable" has been flushed. Who you see on this forum and who I am when sitting in the seat to your right are polar opposites. I am far experienced, educated, qualified, professional and passionate about my career. But everyman has his breaking point with disappointment and feelings of betrayal. I have reached mine. Despite what attitude I display on this board which I know to be BOLD I do respect those who have achieved their career goals. But regardless of your opinions I "HAVE" earned that seat unfortunately this industry does not reward hard work anymore.

Last edited:
Apparently, about half of us in this industry have very poor spending habits, along with diseases, hosts of personality deficits, and character flaws. Amazing how they all ended up in the left seat at the same time! The sooner "that half" of the industry retires, the sooner we'll see these careers restored to their rightful owners...those who will display total class, selflessness, generosity, compassion and responsibility.

Captzaahlie said:
Should have been more specific, no that my question is no longer on the same page....
I was looking for a breakdown showing how many guys are retiring each year
Sorry maybe someone else have that.

I don't care if it's just east or west or both, preferably both.

This is old, before the age 65 rule. It is just an estimate.

USA/American West
5,028 Total Pilots
2,723 retirements in 10 years= 55%
3,720 Retirements in 17 years

Apparently, about half of us in this industry have very poor spending habits, along with diseases, hosts of personality deficits, and character flaws. Amazing how they all ended up in the left seat at the same time! The sooner "that half" of the industry retires, the sooner we'll see these careers restored to their rightful owners...those who will display total class, selflessness, generosity, compassion and responsibility.

I know you're being sarcastic, but you aren't too far from correct. Look, retirements did not stop. We've had almost 200 at CAL alone. Who do you think these guys/gals are that can retire and who do you think are left? You summed it up. We're halfway into this, what kind of personality is the 65 year old airline pilot going to have? Truth hurts.

Captzaahlie said:
Should have been more specific, no that my question is no longer on the same page....
I was looking for a breakdown showing how many guys are retiring each year
Sorry maybe someone else have that.

I don't care if it's just east or west or both, preferably both.

This is old, before the age 65 rule. It is just an estimate.

USA/American West
5,028 Total Pilots
2,723 retirements in 10 years= 55%
3,720 Retirements in 17 years

Thanks J3 that's about how I remember it told to me, but I never verified the info with anyone. I hope thats the case for both of us. When/if recalls happen I'll be faced with a tough decision, decided to put it on the back burner but only on the "warm" setting.

Latest resources

Back