• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Retirement #'s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
First off your have to be at least 21 to get hired at the regional. Secondly I didn't vote for this in the first place--you and your coworkers did. The majority of regional pilots would say anything with a jet engine should be flown by mainline. Most would be ok with stapling to the bottom of a mainline (well at least those with less than 10 years seniority). Bottom line is most of us are trying like hell to get out of here, but while we're here we're going to operate as safe and professional as possible. Don't blame us for your own stupidity from years ago.

Be careful who you place the BLAME GAME on!

Not all of us at the Majors were in favor of giving up scope, not to mention if someone at a Regional has 10+ years they were NOT able to be hired at a Major......

One man took it upon himself to sell out the rj's, it was done on his own accord. It was not brought to the pilots and they were not able to vote on it. Also there was thing called, "BANRUPTCY" a process where labor has no leverage. Wasn't CAL the leader of the pack that lobbied the ATSB not to give UAL the loan in 2003 and forced the bankruptcy? Food for thought.

Be careful who you place the BLAME GAME on!

Not all of us at the Majors were in favor of giving up scope, not to mention if someone at a Regional has 10+ years they were NOT able to be hired at a Major......

All right,
Cant go to the military because the wife would leave, and as much as I would love to try, it's not worth losing my family over it.
The civilian path obligates you to fly RJ's. The "big boys" wont even look at you if you dont have PIC "shine jet" time. What am I to do?
If I don't fly RJ's I dont have a career, but if I do I'm supporting "killing the industry". All of those that like to call us RJ's puke are the ones that gave the flying away. Take it back while you can and stop blaming the pilots that are trying to make a career that you help destroy.
I wasn't at United headquarters picketing for more flying. Those are YOUR management decisions. I don't support, I don't agree doing a SFO-MCI 3:45 flight on a RJ, but please tell me what I should do.

I agree, there is no possible way the 2012 number for United retirees is accurate, at least not due to age 65. The mandatory retirements for age 65 will kick in during December 2012.

The statistic listed would be saying that there are 263 pilots that have December birthdays that just happen to be turning 65 in 2012.

I think a row might be missing, and who knows how accurate any of these numbers is.

So the first Age 65 retiree on December 14th, 2012 will have exactly a week to enjoy retirement before the end of the world?
You just can't win!

First off your have to be at least 21 to get hired at the regional. Secondly I didn't vote for this in the first place--you and your coworkers did. The majority of regional pilots would say anything with a jet engine should be flown by mainline. Most would be ok with stapling to the bottom of a mainline (well at least those with less than 10 years seniority). Bottom line is most of us are trying like hell to get out of here, but while we're here we're going to operate as safe and professional as possible. Don't blame us for your own stupidity from years ago.

I have seen both sides of this coin and honestly, both sides are to blame. The mainline pilots should never had allowed the RJ's to be flown out of their own pilot group and the regional pilots should never had agreed and continue to fly the RJ's for crap pay and work rules. The mainline guys need to retake scope and the regional guys need to fight for a respectable contract, ie better pay and work rules! The solution to the problem is with both groups so stop blaming one another and change your mindset and try to be part of the solution. As for the CAL/UAL groups, scope is number one priority so for those of you living in the Bedford dream world that scope will continue to be relaxed allowing more and larger RJ's to be operated by regional contract carriers, forget it!

I have seen both sides of this coin and honestly, both sides are to blame. The mainline pilots should never had allowed the RJ's to be flown out of their own pilot group and the regional pilots should never had agreed and continue to fly the RJ's for crap pay and work rules. The mainline guys need to retake scope and the regional guys need to fight for a respectable contract, ie better pay and work rules! The solution to the problem is with both groups so stop blaming one another and change your mindset and try to be part of the solution. As for the CAL/UAL groups, scope is number one priority so for those of you living in the Bedford dream world that scope will continue to be relaxed allowing more and larger RJ's to be operated by regional contract carriers, forget it!

I would agree, plenty of blame to go around and each situation is different. The Majors booboo'd by giving away the first non-turbo prop aircraft. AA used to fly Folkers, everyone else had DC9's, so it could be done.
So it was done, and if it had stayed at 50 seats, that would be that, but
the regionals booboo'd by agreeing to fly 76+ RJ's for essentially no additional money so there was even more incentive for the majors to park hundreds of jets in favor of larger RJ's.

Ironically, unless both sides see the value in retaining the flying at the majors the cancer will continue to spread. Senior pilots at both levels control the MEC's. Senior pilots at the majors can be bought with a healthy payraise with the guise that giving up more bottom flying makes the company more money to pay the top end of the payscale.
Senior pilots at the regionals have sold out hope of leaving, so they lobby for bigger jets for even a pittance of a raise because they know it will mean more money, growth, security, etc.
Eventually the senior regional pilots want even more and they will try to morph into a national airline and try to go it alone, seems to be the evolution of the regionals to date, ie republic, xpress jet, ACA, Mesa, etc.

All right,
Cant go to the military because the wife would leave, and as much as I would love to try, it's not worth losing my family over it.
The civilian path obligates you to fly RJ's. The "big boys" wont even look at you if you dont have PIC "shine jet" time. What am I to do?
If I don't fly RJ's I dont have a career, but if I do I'm supporting "killing the industry". All of those that like to call us RJ's puke are the ones that gave the flying away. Take it back while you can and stop blaming the pilots that are trying to make a career that you help destroy.
I wasn't at United headquarters picketing for more flying. Those are YOUR management decisions. I don't support, I don't agree doing a SFO-MCI 3:45 flight on a RJ, but please tell me what I should do.

Take the first job that hires you get some PIC and leave... Good Luck

Since when did you have to be twenty one to get hired at a regional? There was a guy at my regional who was 18 when he was hired 3 years ago. Has there been some sort of rule put in place during the last 3 years requiring people to be 21?

Latest resources

Back