• McDonald's

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • My dinner tab has to run about $200.00

Votes: 32 8.5%
  • Buffet style restaurants

Votes: 15 4.0%

• Total voters
Good Food On The Road

In MEM - Rendevouz - right near the Peabody Hotel. Also Corky's. Both have great ribs.

ATL - Spondivits - Near the DL Training Center - good sandwiches and beer.

New York - Carnegie Deli - Best sandwiches in the the world. On about 57th and 7th in Manhattan.

SAN - The Boll Weevil - Has half pound steer burgers that are to die for! Very casual atmosphere with pool tables and lots of beer to drink.

Zagat

While far from perfect, the Zagat's guides are good for town syou don't know. You don't need to buy them all, just log onto www.zagat.com. There are probably 50 cities/areas listed and you can sort by location, type (BBQ), price range, etc. It is better than hitting the chains. Just beware, ratings are not transferable between cities (since the ratings are determined by readers) ... a 28 in Charlotte may not be equivalent to a 28 in NYC. But it is a good place to start.

Road Food

We try to stay with the national chains to insure at least a certain level of mediocrity: McCormick and Schmick (because it's owned by a couple of United Captains), Morton's of Chicago, Ruth's Chris, Benihana's and JW's Steak House and Shula's because we stay at Marriott's for the points. We have some regional favorites like the Sea Shack when we have to stay in Teterboro, The Chateau and Star Canyon in Dallas, and everyplace in New Orleans. Just kidding; in the Big Easy, we like Commander's Palace, Arnaud's, Antoine's, The Court of Two Sisters and Brennan's. If we make it out to Lake Ponchatrain, we go to Fitzgerald's for the crabs and shrimp.

Gawd, I'm getting hungry just writing this!

GV

Last edited:
GVFlyer - I fly to Llano for Cooper's at least once a month! It's awesome. I keep telling Falcon Capt that I'd take him out there when he gets back to Austin (or even take some to him at AUS if he has a quick turn), but he hasn't taken me up on it yet.

I personally think he's afraid that Cooper's is going to be SO good, he'll hate to eat BBQ anywhere else again! :D

Coopers

Looked at the website -- and got hungry. Do you know what ships well since they freeze it. The experience can't quite be the same as being there.

My wife especially enjoys Texas BBQ. She went to college in Houston (a sort of long time ago) and always talks of Goode Company. How does Cooper's compare?

Thanks.

P.S. In Islamorada Fla (in the keys), Time Out BBQ has great ribs which take all day to cook.

Anybody try Joey's Tomatoes in Calgary? I've never seen a better looking bunch of servers, and the food is pretty good, too. And you've gotta love their accents!

seafood

Just had dinner this week at Ocean Air in DCA(14th and K)and it can not be any better,best yellow fin I have ever had,but take your corp. card as it is a bit on the high side. Mobs

Which reminds me, in DCA, Hogates Seafod (In the marina, visible from 395) is outstanding.

Food on the road

If you land in either LYH or CHO, get on route 151 and heads towards Wintergreen Resort. Just north of Wintergreen, there will be a small wooden place with a gas station called "The Blue Ridge Pig". Definitely worth the trip and it's beautiful country.

Radiohofo

Latest resources

Back