• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Republic's certificate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Furthermore, we have all heard the theories and talk about Mainline carriers contracting all of their domestic flights to regionals and focusing more on international. Well look, it is happening before our eyes with the 170. Look the 170/190 is much more suited to undertake this than the crj-700, you can't argue that. This another reason why the 170 market is going to out perform the crj-700 market...... thankyou

Why would they flyt STL to Mazatlan Mexico...that must the our new TWA code share. You sir are a Delta Bravo.

Mike Oxlong said:
Why would they flyt STL to Mazatlan Mexico...that must the our new TWA code share. You sir are a Delta Bravo.

My apoligies I was dislexic. I meant CMH-SLT (Salt Lake City) and then SLT to Mazatlan. Other destinations are SLT to Seattle, DWI-SLT, and I think SLT to LA. The airline will look at the # of people who go from one city to the next through their hub (ATL), say cmh to salt lake, if that number gets over, for example, 500, they start a direct flight with a regional carrier. I believe we will start to see more of this.... thankyou.

mr_kilo said:
My apoligies I was dislexic. I meant CMH-SLT (Salt Lake City) and then SLT to Mazatlan. Other destinations are SLT to Seattle, DWI-SLT, and I think SLT to LA. The airline will look at the # of people who go from one city to the next through their hub (ATL), say cmh to salt lake, if that number gets over, for example, 500, they start a direct flight with a regional carrier. I believe we will start to see more of this.... thankyou.

How long do you think it will take for him to give up after the FMS keeps kicking back SLT as the identifier for Salt Lake City?

I mean, it'll take, but if you're going from CMH to Salt Lake, you'll probably get a violation.

Last edited:
mr_kilo said:
This is a pretty good question so I will inform you on this. The EMB 170 is a whole different ball game when compared to the crj-700. The cabin in the 170 is actually bigger and more comfortable than the crj 700. The seating configuration in the 170 could almost be a 3 and 2 but its a 2 and 2 so you could see that its much roomier than a 700. Additionally, the cabin height in the 170 is tall enough so a 6 foot 5 man, give or take, could stand up with ease. Furthermore the performance of the 170/190 is comparable to the 737-700 (max ceiling 410, max speed mach .82). In a nut shell the EMB170/190 is a mainline aircraft with 70 to 90 seats vs 130 seats. The operating costs on the 170 are comparabe to the crj 700. To sum it all up, this aircraft are going to be much more popular with passengers and that is very good thing. Nobody wants to fly in a tube from FLL to CMH for example. As a result of this the emb-170 is going to be more popular for code share's vs the crj-700/900's.

Give me a break. I could make the same arguement about the CRJ vs the ERJ 145 series. The CRJ is certified to FL 410 (ERJ is FL370), max speed is higher than the ERJ .78M, seating is 2x2 (vs 2x1), and the cabin is both taller and wider than the ERJ. Sounds like someone is jealous that Embraer just came out with something better than Bombardier. I bet you fly a CRJ right?

mr_kilo said:

First of all, Salt Lake is SLC.

Second, its not 500 people, its more like 70 (or 68 in this case). If they had 500 it would be a mainline 757 aircraft several times a day. See link below.

Third, I would argue that the larger the aircraft the cheaper it is to operate on a seat mile basis. The problem is they can't fill a mainline size aircraft, yet they can a 170. If the larger aircraft is half full than the 170 is the right aircraft for the mission.

Take a look at Deltas schedules. 9 flights a day from ATL-BHM. All but one is mainline. Total distance is 133 miles. Because the demand is there they fill larger aircraft because it cheaper to operate per seat mile.

However, looking at CVG-BHM it all CRJ's. To keep enough frequency for the paying passenger and fill the aircraft to acceptable levels, the aircraft is right-sized to the market. A mainline aircraft on this route wouldn't be full and would be less profitable. It's all economics.

I copied this post from the CHQ Lounge website:

http://www.port-columbus.com/flight/stats/quarterly/2005_1q.pdf

Check out page 6, "10 largest markets without non-stop service". SLC is #6. You automatically have 68 people a day who O&D between CMH-SLC. Just right for a 70 seat aircraft. Now add 2 additional flights per day for a total of 3 RT per day from CMH and how many of those other passengers on that list will now go through SLC to connect to LAX (12 flights/day from SLC), SAN (7 flights), SEA (10 flights), SFO (7 flights) and PDX (6 flights)?

You now have a possible 567 connecting passengers to those destinations without going through more indirect or congested hubs or ORD, DFW, CVG, DTW, ATL, etc.. Not to mention the relief you are giving the ATL and CVG Delta hubs where those flights that are very often full or oversold.

bitememesa said:
I sure am glad the Mid Atlantic guys proudly raised their middle finger in the direction of Republic. What a great group of guys...I'm glad none of them will be subjected to this little scope busting party.

You guys need to realize that the threat to your new airline isn't coming from Mesa anymore, it's coming from these SJS sufferers that love their little E170s that truly ARE stealing your flying. The CRJ200/700/900 will forever be an express aircraft, travelling to express destinations. I'd like to see an E170 in San Luis Obispbo, or Santa Barbara, or Monterey, or any of the other small size destinations we serve on the 200/900 for Mesa. Remember guys, without us flying to those places, you wouldn't have those passengers feeding your mainline airplanes, and your competitors would have them. I don't need to remind you that you need us...good luck doing it on your own and making it work because financially its not possible. For those of you that disagree I reference the success of FlyI.

So maybe we worked a deal with Delta to fly 50 seaters for them...great, to express destinations. And maybe we fly the biggest regional jet in history, thats fine too but just remember we are serving in an Express capacity. It may seem like we aren't, and it may seem like you're jacking our flying, and we may be...but if you want it back, do something and take it back you little kitty cats. Quit your whining, strengthen your scope and take it back...

But I know my job is secure, because I know you're all hiding behind a screen name and none of you would ever do anything to make waves at your current employer.

But please...be concerned about the E170/E190 project. These guys are ripping you off.

Pot meet Kettle.

Any 70 seat aircraft is just that a 70 seat aircraft. It doesn't matter if its a CRJ or a ERJ.

You sir are also hidding behind a screen name, Mr. bitememesa!

Mainline management decides where the express carriers fly and what mission their express carriers serve in the airline.

I guess this where lie in my confusion. Everyone is all up in arms and constipated over the ERJ 170. Somebody tell me why? The CRJ700 and Avro 85 are also in the same category yet you never hear any of you flamers discuss it. Its always those asshoes in the 170..... gimme a break. dont forget Freedumb out in LAS in those shiny 90 seat CRJ's.

another ISA +17 day at FL320...... do you know where your performance charts are???

Latest resources

Back