Republic will be the next large National Airline

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bigbird

Do you think this will work? Does Brian Bedford have what it takes? I dont see how this is a smart business move. Republic has a niche as a regional airline..Wouldnt it be a much different business model to run an independent airline? Republic is the most unorganized and screwed up company I have ever worked for. I cant imagine them working as their own carrier.

There is no intention of becoming a major/national airline. Bedford is gaining assets, and plans on using those assets in their current capacities for now. Frontier will continue to be Frontier. There may be some 190's joining the Airbus, but that is no different than when RAH was flying contract 170's for Frontier. Frontier will sell its own tickets and so on. Frontier is a viable business that ended up in bankruptcy strictly because a credit card company changed the rules of ticket money collection without notice or just cause. The only difference is that those Frontier profits are going to go into Bedford's war chest.

As for Midwest, Bedford will continue to operate that as a stand alone carrier and try to keep the same market share it has enjoyed to date. Since boeing decided to take the 717's back, Bedford has seized the opportunity to employ some 170's and obtain some 190's. But, Midwest will operate as Midwest from a business standpoint.

Bedford will continue to use Republic, Shuttle America, and Chautauqua as regional lift providers. There may be some incest going on, with CHQ flying as a contract carrier for Midwest, and republic flying 190's for Frontier, but these will still be contracted carriers with someone else's paint job. United cannot punish RAH for having Republic fly for Frontier, because United does not contract with republic, they contract with Shuttle and Chautauqua. Likewise, Delta cannot dump Shuttle America and Chautauqua because RAH flies Midwest 190's on the Republic certificate. On the surface, it seems that there are conflicts of interest all over the place, but remember that much goes on behind closed boardroom doors. RAH just gave the string pullers of TGP a cash return on their investment that they otherwise would not have gotten. It may be dimes on the dollar, but money is money. US Airways has been pumped full of RAH money, and will not bite the hand that feeds. United may not like RAH owning Frontier, but United is not in a financial position to call the shots right now. At this point, United has a minor dependency on the lift RAH provides them.

No one likes to see multiple airlines playing on the same side. We all take pride in our companies to some degree, and hate to see anyone else gain an advantage in the market place. We also hate to see one man own more than one team, because we know that he does not care who wins. The only way we as pilots can benefit from all of this is to make sure that labor is not divided into multiple teams. At RAH, we are going to try to ensure that Bedford does not keep us physically divided from his newly acquired work groups. We may never have friendships and comraderie with the Midwest pilots or the Frontier pilots, but we need to be allied in fighting the dragons of Indianapolis.

Beware

There is no intention of becoming a major/national airline. Bedford is gaining assets, and plans on using those assets in their current capacities for now.

I don't know Bedford's intentions, but some worry that he might do what Lorenzo did: keep the lines separate, bleed assets & cash from some into others, then dump the empty husks. Just the implied threat of doing such things can be a huge club in labor negotiations.

I guess Bedford is well known for his religous mailings....would anybody here charactorize his actions as Christ-like? WWJD?

You be the judge.....

Lilah

I guess Bedford is well known for his religous mailings....would anybody here charactorize his actions as Christ-like? WWJD?

You be the judge.....

Lilah

Capitalism is not Christian in nature. Economics is pretty far removed from religion.

It doesnt matter how unorganized your company is when your employees are willing to work for food stamp wages. I wouldnt be surprised if they take a pay cut to fly a bigger airplane.

Its my understanding that Bedford did some jail time for insider trading, can anyone confirm this? If thats true that tells me that this guy is a total snake. Who the hell would believe anything this guy says. He would say whatever it takes to get f9 pilot group to give in and then have his way with the company. Even if f9 voted no the bk judge will waive the contract and the same fate will lay for f9 that happened with midwest. Very sad, I think this guy will be the new Lorenzo and Johnny O.

Latest resources

Back