• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Republic to Fly for Midwest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Can somebody please explain this to me? Didn't Skywest come in and kick something like 380 people to the street at Skyway? Why does'nt anyone talk about that anymore? Is the only difference between whats happening now and what happened then is the fact that Skyway pilots aren't mainline pilots so nobody should care? :uzi:

Can somebody please explain this to me? Didn't Skywest come in and kick something like 380 people to the street at Skyway? Why does'nt anyone talk about that anymore? Is the only difference between whats happening now and what happened then is the fact that Skyway pilots aren't mainline pilots so nobody should care? :uzi:

No. All of us at Skyway at the time understood this was simply a business decision, much as it is now. We didn't like it, and there were more than a few that pouted and carried on in a most unprofessional way. However, our Embraer order had been cancelled, Midwest couldn't/wouldn't resurrect/afford the program, and put the 50 seat flying they wanted up for bid. At no time did Midwest management look for concessions/whipsaw/etc. for the Skyway group as bait for larger aircraft.

There was a small group at the time that thought a short-term deal with Skywest meant the company would be interested in getting larger RJ's if finances allowed for it. Obviously, it never happened.

So what is being said within the MEH pilot group? Is there any way to fight this? Is there talk of shutting the place down?

Last year at this time MEH operated, what, 60 to 70 planes, counting Skyway?

Now they're down to 9 plus two for charters?

I'd say that it has been essentially shut down.

No, they're not. You can only outsource so fast...still takes time to get planes back to the lease holders, ect...

I suspect the 9 planes will be there for a bit so as to keep the MEH certificate active...that's all. MEH will be all RJ by this time next year...and a feed for NWA/Delta.

I guess you didn't talk to any of the junior pilots who were on the verge of furlough or any of the captains about to be downgraded that are hoping to stay in the left seat. I have, and I have not heard a negative thing yet about this from a Republic pilot.

Funny you say that. I'm getting downgraded the end of this month. Yes I was hoping to stay in the left seat, who wouldn't? But I don't want to stay there at the expense of the MEH pilots.

Wow! That is eerie. I just had a flashback of seeing a leaked CRJ painted up in Midwest Connect colors shortly before the Skyway death sentence. Good luck to all.

To all pilots who will be in the Milwaukee area tomorrow the 18th.

Our MEC will have a picketing event at 10am and again at 2pm.

Lunch will be provided :)

Come join us
414-481-1481 (MEA Alpa MEC office)

When I worked under uncle "t" earlier in my career, we used to say that 'any idiot can run an airline'...

I stand corrected, reality is finally catching up to the 'idiot'..........

Good luck to what is left of MEH, and to the people who really make it work day in and day out.. The pilots!

Latest resources

Back