Republic to cease operations of Lynx

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Interesting you say that...

A group of us spoke to GK about that exact thing, and his response was he never had any intention of furloughing any F9 pilots.

now should I believe you or him, hmmm...

SLC
:cool:

Yeah, I'll call you on that one. A smart guy once said to watch what people do, and not what they say.

Muse Air, Morris Air, ATA.

SW has probably the worst record of any airline in their treatment of
their employees that they've acquired. AA is a close second.

GK reminds me of Leo Mullin, when Delta wanted to acquire CAL, he
was quoted in the WSJ that he couldn't believe that labor could
thwart his planned merger.

Apparently, he was planning on stapling the CAL pilots to Delta's list.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'll call you on that one. A smart guy once said to watch what people do, and not what they say.

GK reminds me of Leo Mullin, when Delta wanted to acquire CAL, he
was quoted in the WSJ that he couldn't believe that labor could
thwart his planned merger.

Apparently, he was planning on stapling the CAL pilots to Delta's list.

Shame on HK and GK for looking out for their employees. What were they thinking. The Muse Air guys did it to themselves. The Morris Air guys were are and will be in a great position. ATA was never part of SWA. Beeing bitter will never make you feel anybetter.

Shame on HK and GK for looking out for their employees. What were they thinking. The Muse Air guys did it to themselves. The Morris Air guys were are and will be in a great position. ATA was never part of SWA. Beeing bitter will never make you feel anybetter.
Don't you know it is the Southwest pilots' fault that ATA had a management that didn't know how to run a profitable airline?

Although true that ATA employees were never part of SWA (except for maybe the ex- CEO, now LUV BOD member-JD), only the assets; i.e. gates and slots, are now part of SW (well, the company was for a short time in last March, when SW purchased the airline during an end-run for the LGA slots).

Throughout this period, most employees were essentially given the corporate finger (disguised as preferential interviews) while the airline was being systematically dismantled. Tough to deny that there was a whole lot of MDW growth that came at the expense of the ATA employee group.

Consider the possibility, that the bitterness that some retain is simply a result of listening to those in denial of a few of the facts.

Next up: "It's just business" in 3... 2... 1...

Last edited:
Although true that ATA employees were never part of SWA (except for maybe the ex- CEO, now LUV BOD member-JD), only the assets; i.e. gates and slots, are now part of SW (well, the company was for a short time in last March, when SW purchased the airline during an end-run for the LGA slots).

Throughout this period, most employees were essentially given the corporate finger (disguised as preferential interviews) while the airline was being systematically dismantled. Tough to deny that there was a whole lot of growth that came at the expense of the ATA employee group. Explain that to their families as they rebuild, while you pray there is no such thing as Karma.

Next up: "It's just business" in 3... 2... 1...

If SWA would have bought your jets I'd be wholly onboard with your arguement. SWA did offer preferential interviews to flight crews. Are you pissed at the people who actually owned your jets because they didn't offer you employment?

It's not "just business." It's called "we didn't buy your jets." Although I wish we had. It would be nice flying to Hawaii or carrying our troops to destinations throughout the world.

Gup

That record could be skewed somewhat by the fact that SWA only seems interested in airlines that are already Ch11, or so near it they can still get fire-sale prices. Our management is so cheap, they never pay retail for anything....why should airline aquistions be any different? Like it or not, diminished career expectations go right along with Ch11 as far as our union is concerned. If, heaven forbid, the company actually decided to acquire a successful carrier (say Alaska or AirTran), I can promise you the stapler wouldn't make it out of SWAPA's desk drawer.

If SWA would have bought your jets I'd be wholly onboard with your arguement. SWA did offer preferential interviews to flight crews. Are you pissed at the people who actually owned your jets because they didn't offer you employment?

It's not "just business." It's called "we didn't buy your jets." Although I wish we had. It would be nice flying to Hawaii or carrying our troops to destinations throughout the world.

Gup

Hi Gup,

I think it would have worked well. Hawaii and all...

The reality is ("jets" not withstanding), that as part of the "reorganization" under Dennison (retired LUV CFO, now BOD member) as ATA'S CEO, ATA pulled out of MDW-Florida, PHX, DEN, LAX, LAS, SFO, MSP, BOS... Pretty much all of the markets in which SW directly competed against ATA, plus those that SW would soon begin service to. In addition, SW assumed the gate leases (12?) in MDW that ATA controlled.

This was Dennison's idea of building a code-share?

Believe it or not, the vast majority of ATA employees were proud of the airline they were building, with many employee's having spent 20 years or more there. I would say that many were (some still are) extremely frustrated to watch it all be taken apart by a senior management team of "new hires" that truly seemed to have had other motives.

I would guess the "pissed" part by many, comes not from who bought or did not buy the jets, rather it most likely comes from missing a place that most considered family. Whatever the true conspiracy may have been, lives and livelyhoods were destroyed by what took place. With SW as a prime benefactor to ATA's demise, guilt by association?

Skipper

Hi Gup,

Believe it or not, the vast majority of ATA employees were proud of the airline they were building, with many employee's having spent 20 years or more there. I would say that many were (some still are) extremely frustrated to watch it all be taken apart by a senior management team of "new hires" that truly seemed to have had other motives.

Skipper

How did that work out for you? Sounds a lot like Republic guys who just want to "keep their brand." Sorry, I meant Frontier guys.

Looks like Frontier guys are going to get to "keep their brand." Just like the Midwest guys got to as well.

Naah, I'll leave his comment up. Although he's deluded that this board *HAS* free speech (it doesn't, it's a private message board and the intellectual property of the webmaster), he didn't violate any of the Terms of Service, so it stays up.

Thanks for the support though, been a long road, and still a ways to go yet... :)

*Deleted*

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back