• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Republic Abuses Flight Crews

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Um...wasn't republic one of the first alter ego's by schiitaqua to circumvent alpa and scope?

[Geico gecko voice] "A bottom feeder behaving like a bottom feeder...Brilliant!"

100-1/2
Umm, no. Quick history lesson kids. Republic is both an airline and the overall holding company that operates Chautauqua, Shuttle America, and Republic Airways. The original Republic Airways was going to be a strictly non-union E145 operator after the original CHQ pilots told Bedford hell no to J4J back in 2002-2003.

The benevolent Reverend and his management team responded by posting a list of tail numbers that would be sent to Republic and furloughing a few CHQ pilots. During the ensuing fray, which was co-incident with section 6 negotiations, Chautauqua's EXCO agreed to J4J on the property and secured regional-industry leading scope, when not just Chautauqua but Republic Airways Holdings was bound by one pilot list. This in turn prevented a Freedom/Go-Jets type debacle when E170s started miraculously showing up on property a year later.

In 2003 not a single CHQ pilot believed we'd be flying 70-seaters any more than we thought NASA would out-source the Space Shuttle to us. Giving credit where it was due, however, the Reverend was looking to the future and suddenly we had a deal to fly 145s and 170s for UA. Oops, our agreement with AA and the APA's scope clause did not allow us to fly such heavy metal on the CHQ certificate, thus we needed another certificate. No problem, we'll just fire up Republic again. Oops, it's harder to start a certificate then we thought?? Cool, we'll just buy this tiny Saab operator called Shuttle America (who happens to be flying a bunch of ex-CHQ Saabs), integrate their pilots, dump the Saabs and presto, instant 170 operator.

However, management kept working on getting the Republic certificate running, because now DALPA's scope is capping this new shiny jet at 70 seats, and we want to fly a few for US Airways with 72 seats. So, certificate number 3 finally appears, and now the same holding company and pilot group is spread over 3 different groups. Us pilots seem to think it's strange to start a certificate with 4 airframes, until shady shenanigans ensue involving Doug Parker, Reverend Bedford, and some goats, and suddenly Mid-Atlantic ceases to exist and Republic is flying all sorts of E170s for US. (Ps, kudos to U-ALPA for allowing even MORE narrow-body jobs and jets off the property).

You're welcome for this brief lesson of one of the few scope victories ever for a regional pilot group (albeit one that viciously highlights the continued decline of mainline flying). Please return to your regularly scheduled mindless bashing.

Hope non of you regional guys who can’t handle the sits applied to the fractionals. Sitting 3-5 hours in between flights is normal and so is working 10-14 hours; and try doing that day after day for 7 days. And there are no early shows or late shows. You are the show, and the company owns you all day long.

You guys are lucky that your company is attempting to be productive. Maybe they need to furlough some more.

Remember there are guys out there on the street who would kill to have your job and work those hours with no complaining.

Hope non of you regional guys who can’t handle the sits applied to the fractionals. Sitting 3-5 hours in between flights is normal and so is working 10-14 hours; and try doing that day after day for 7 days. And there are no early shows or late shows. You are the show, and the company owns you all day long.

Comparing business aviation to airline flying (fractional to regional specifically) really is no comparison at all.

A 2-3 hour sit in a food court or 10x15' room with 20 people squeezed in is NOT the same as a 2-3 hour sit in your average FBO pilot lounge with big-screen satellite TV, wifi internet, free coffee and cookies, crew cars, and comfortable recliners to sit/nap in.

You guys are lucky that your company is attempting to be productive. Maybe they need to furlough some more.

You're missing the point. Sitting 3-5 hours is not productive.

This kind of scheduling max duty days basically provides free reserve coverage. You get 10 crews with 5 hours of extra sitting a day, thats 50 extra hours of reserve coverage the company doesnt have to pay for.

Heres an idea if you dont like the rules LEAVE!! Im sure there are a lot of crew members that would love to keep that seat warm in your place.

Bingo!

Everything that is currently wrong with the industry, eloquently summed up in two sentences.

Bingo!

Everything that is currently wrong with the industry, eloquently summed up in two sentences.
There are a few other terms that you can add to the list.
1: Deregulation
2: Greedy Management!!!!!!!!!
3: Greedy Unions
4" Greedy Pilots
5: Greed
6: Greed
7: Greed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Greed all the way around the compass!!! Unfortunatley...

I'm not at republic, but I don't like the sentiment of "well, at least you have a job, so it doesn't matter if it's crappy where you work." don't get me wrong-I'm happy I do have a job and sorry for the guys that don't, but that doesn't give a company a green light to treat employees like crap.

I'm just glad to see the day where a dickyard FO isn't strutting around telling everyone how much better his airline is because the engines are wing mounted and there are no airstairs on the door.....I guess lifestyle on the jumbo shrimp sucks equally to anything else with Express on the side of it.

ps - I'm not baggin on you guys republic, but you know as well as I do that there are a few of your guys running with their noses turned up at the other regional guys like they have a better pot to p!ss in.

This happened on a deadhead, not kidding...it was back when everyone was hiring like crazy and lots of new faces were around. A very young new Republic FO sits next to me and strikes up a conversation:

Junior: Hey man, how ya doin? This is great that we get paid to go on an airplane ride!

Me: The thrill is long since gone, but it beats an office job. How long have you been with Republic?

Junior: Two weeks! I start the sim next week!
(junior was wearing a uniform, hat and all!) What do you fly?

Me: The CRJ 200 and 700.

Junior: (with a disgusted look on his face) Oh that sucks man...when are you gonna come to Republic and fly the REAL airliner?

Me: ... (I just stared at him..and replaced my headphones.....I wasn't going to acknowledge it, it was just too dumb)

Most of you guys and gals are really nice though :)

Mesa sucks.

I'm not at republic, but I don't like the sentiment of "well, at least you have a job, so it doesn't matter if it's crappy where you work." don't get me wrong-I'm happy I do have a job and sorry for the guys that don't, but that doesn't give a company a green light to treat employees like crap.
I have been in the RAH family for 5+ years. 3 of which is at Republic. I can say whole heartedly that I am not treated like crap. I am not going to say things shouldn't be better, but I will not say that things are as bad as people say they are. It's all in how you approach the surroundings. Our contract does have many loopholes and Grey areas that need to be cleaned up and filled in, but that will come in time. I am quite happy there and am probably going to stay for a while. $90K per year is not a bad salary to live on these days. Things will get better in time. This job beets digging ditches and cleaning toilets!!!!

I'm just glad to see the day where a dickyard FO isn't strutting around telling everyone how much better his airline is because the engines are wing mounted and there are no airstairs on the door.....I guess lifestyle on the jumbo shrimp sucks equally to anything else with Express on the side of it.

ps - I'm not baggin on you guys republic, but you know as well as I do that there are a few of your guys running with their noses turned up at the other regional guys like they have a better pot to p!ss in.

This happened on a deadhead, not kidding...it was back when everyone was hiring like crazy and lots of new faces were around. A very young new Republic FO sits next to me and strikes up a conversation:

Junior: Hey man, how ya doin? This is great that we get paid to go on an airplane ride!

Me: The thrill is long since gone, but it beats an office job. How long have you been with Republic?

Junior: Two weeks! I start the sim next week!
(junior was wearing a uniform, hat and all!) What do you fly?

Me: The CRJ 200 and 700.

Junior: (with a disgusted look on his face) Oh that sucks man...when are you gonna come to Republic and fly the REAL airliner?

Me: ... (I just stared at him..and replaced my headphones.....I wasn't going to acknowledge it, it was just too dumb)

Most of you guys and gals are really nice though :)

Mesa sucks.
I will admit we do have some of the "Academy" kids here who have gotten drunk of the "I am better than You Koolaid" because I fly the 170 and give us RAH crews a bad name. Sorry about that!!! Trust me they are being either weeded out , shaped up or let go. On the other hand Mr. Brownstreak, you PSA folks have your share of arrogant Pigheaded Pilots on your property as well. I have come across MANY of your pilots with bad Attitudes!!! Every airline has their share of Idiots, yours is no different than mine!!!! The Majority are a Fine but their is that 10% of knuckleheads!!!

Happy New Year!!:beer:

Latest resources

Back