• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Reporting Leaving an altitude

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Point to the line about not taxiing faster than a brisk walk and ask them about that.
That recommendation only applies to airplanes without brakes.

break

As somebody already wrote, reporting vacating an altitude is a holdover from older days. If the freq is busy do us all a favor and don't do it.

Another one: when reporting entering a hold don't bother saying the time. I'm willing to bet every ATC'er has a watch by now.

We all need to work together to do what's safe instead of getting bogged down in archaic and irrelevent regulatory minutiae.

Last edited:
Oh I probably use to make that call 10% of the time knowing all what everyone has said on this thread previously.....until one night.

We were given a crossing restriction and about 5 minutes later when we started the desent I made that 10% of the time call and then it started. The controller made about five calls to give heading changes, altitude changes, maintain altitude and such. We thought we totally screwed up. There was much confusion on everyones part and when we asked if we did anything wrong (ASAP) the controller owned the mistake and appologized to all involved.

I make that call 100% of the time. Everyone is human.

Oh I probably use to make that call 10% of the time knowing all what everyone has said on this thread previously.....until one night.

We were given a crossing restriction and about 5 minutes later when we started the desent I made that 10% of the time call and then it started. The controller made about five calls to give heading changes, altitude changes, maintain altitude and such. We thought we totally screwed up. There was much confusion on everyones part and when we asked if we did anything wrong (ASAP) the controller owned the mistake and appologized to all involved.

I make that call 100% of the time. Everyone is human.

there you go. well said.

I guess there are two kinds of pilots out there:

1. The dude who thinks the FAA is watching him at all times, that his F/O will NARC on him, and that the F/A, the pax, and the rampers all are out to get him. This guy will do everything by the book, and judges anyone that doesn't as an inferior pilot. He judges one's flying skills by knowing procedures verbatim and never veering off. This dude is usually called the "anal guy who no one wants to fly with".

2. The dude who is not afraid of his shadow and understands the regs and follows them because he wants to be safe, not because they are simply written in a manual. He understands that veering off regs is ok sometimes, as using his judgement is what he's paid for. This individual is considered the "laid back" guy who many of us strive to be - of course, not all ;)

Beytzim wins the prize. 30W as well.

In Africa or SA, it's defnitely a good idea. In a radar environment, it's just a waste of frequency.

Let's be real, only about 10% of us waste the energy.

I guess the rest of us are asking for a letter from the FAA -- for violating the (advisory only) AIM.

1. The dude who thinks the FAA is watching him at all times, that his F/O will NARC on him, and that the F/A, the pax, and the rampers all are out to get him. This guy will do everything by the book, and judges anyone that doesn't as an inferior pilot. He judges one's flying skills by knowing procedures verbatim and never veering off. This dude is usually called the "anal guy who no one wants to fly with".

2. The dude who is not afraid of his shadow and understands the regs and follows them because he wants to be safe, not because they are simply written in a manual. He understands that veering off regs is ok sometimes, as using his judgement is what he's paid for. This individual is considered the "laid back" guy who many of us strive to be - of course, not all ;)

That sums it up quite well.

If its not going to get you hurt or violated, who the hell cares?

That sums it up quite well.

If its not going to get you hurt or violated, who the hell cares?

Couldn't agree more. Usually the anal one is the captain so you can't totally ignore him but you have to not let him distract you to the dangerous point with his BS. Usually the FO will listen if you explain to him what is important now. ID the next vor after you get that radio call you just missed again.

And it's this first type of pilot that will always include the phrase "I'm pretty laid back" in his briefing to you. If you ever hear this phrase, watch out because you are about to fly with the most anal S.O.B on the planet. If you really are "laid back", you won't have to tell anyone.

As somebody already wrote, reporting vacating an altitude is a holdover from older days. If the freq is busy do us all a favor and don't do it.

Another one: when reporting entering a hold don't bother saying the time. I'm willing to bet every ATC'er has a watch by now.

Oh for cryin' out loud.

If you can't say "Center, ABC XXX two-seven zero descending wun wun thousand" in less than 3 seconds to New York, Cleveland or whoever, swallow the dry bagel in your mouth, take a swig of water then TRY.

All y'all Joe Cool types complaining about that which is required by AIM and which can be accomplished in less than 3 seconds are pathetic.

That goes for the time stamp in the hold, too, for chrissake. ::shaking head in disbelief::

Latest resources

Back