• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Relevance of 717 to Southwest continues to diminish

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The fact is, GK doesn't want the 717. You can read in to that what you want, but it will never make money in our model, on our pay rates. He will not keep it on the property bleeding money. He also wants as many 700's as he can get to replace the 300's and get rid of them too. This being the case, he also doesn't need 1700 more pilots, and when he does need more, there are thousands of qualified applicants pounding on the door, willing to do it cheaper and happy to do it, as all of us were.

We can talk SLI's, arbitration, we are better than you, you are better than us, you name the argument de jour.... He was never going to fully integrate them into our CBA at our rates, and probably not even at lesser ones. They would be a booger on his finger that would have been nearly impossible to get rid of once we integrated and he had to fight all of us to do the things that make for a profitable operation. Even if we had offered a pure staple, you guy had happily agreed, and we were all singing kumbya by the fire, he would have been left with hoards of aircraft he didn't want, and expensive labor he didn't need, certainly in light of the fact that the combined operation will be much leaner than the sum of both.

So I suppose we can continue with the back and forth arbitration type arguments (On Your Six, please chime in immediately...Godspeed!), but he is going to have to do something with people and planes he doesn't need. Southwest is a business and not a government welfare program. So you take all these facts, apply a little logic, and you will see where the excess water is heading.

Dear Wolf King,

That helmet looks uncomfortable. Hows the visibility out of the eye-slits ?

That shield make you look fat.

:D

My favorite part of being bought by Southwest; being able to start a post with "Dear Wolf King".

Never saw that coming.

Rage

So I suppose we can continue with the back and forth arbitration type arguments (On Your Six, please chime in immediately...Godspeed!), but he is going to have to do something with people and planes he doesn't need. Southwest is a business and not a government welfare program. So you take all these facts, apply a little logic, and you will see where the excess water is heading.
And this is why I will never in all my wildest dreams understand how your MEC turned down the AIP. SL9 covered your asses better than it covered ours. Talk about a gift.

Now, you are playing Ru$$ian Roulette with a clock ticking. Or, maybe it would be more palatable to call it, "Musical Chairs".

All Southwest guys know they have a seat. AAI guys? Well, you be the judge of that.

And this is why I will never in all my wildest dreams understand how your MEC turned down the AIP. SL9 covered your asses better than it covered ours. Talk about a gift.

Now, you are playing Ru$$ian Roulette with a clock ticking. Or, maybe it would be more palatable to call it, "Musical Chairs".

All Southwest guys know they have a seat. AAI guys? Well, you be the judge of that.

Hey Room,

My post was pure joke. I took one look at his avatar and username and couldn't resist. I'm weak. :)

The AIP was voted down because the majority of AirTran pilots thought it wasn't fair. The MEC vote is part of the three step process for approval. It was stopped at step 2. I know some of you guys don't like it, however there are also plenty who respect the fact that we stuck to our values.

We respect GK and SWA. We don't believe that saying 'no thank you' to an offer shows disrespect or means that it's the bitter end of a great idea.

We believe that GK will honor the agreements and his word. Isn't that something that SWA prides itself on ?

D.

Guess 2 guys didn't check their e-mail. I'll save you the trouble.

From Gary
... Next, we’re going to celebrate Atlanta. We announced that we’ll be launching Southwest service to Atlanta last week, starting in February. It is very important, of course, to integrate all of our AirTran Family Members into the Southwest Family. We have a special party that’s planned in Atlanta in October to celebrate One LUV. So more than 6,000 of AirTran’s 8,000 Employees live in Atlanta, and, of course, with our nonrevenue benefits, I’m hopeful and I’m confident that we’ll have a very large Southwest contingency on hand to celebrate. Culture is one of the most important things that we have at Southwest Airlines. And, of course, celebrating is just one way that we contribute to our Culture, so let’s all vow to protect it, and let’s all vow to nurture it as we would in our own Family. And, I encourage each of you to take ownership of our Culture and do your part to make it stronger, and I know you will.

That is why seniority is important. If GK has to dump planes, why would the bottom 60% of Airtran want to be in your bottom 20%? Make sense yet? With arbitration, more SWA pilots could be mixed in the bottom ranks, and could share the pain if planes start to go away. Very smart of ALPA, and GK does need AT to grow in places that were inaccessible before. Both ATL and DCA were markets SWA could not really get into for years to come. Godspeed!

OYS

Last edited:
Guess 2 guys didn't check their e-mail. I'll save you the trouble.

From Gary
... Next, we’re going to celebrate Atlanta. We announced that we’ll be launching Southwest service to Atlanta last week, starting in February. It is very important, of course, to integrate all of our AirTran Family Members into the Southwest Family. We have a special party that’s planned in Atlanta in October to celebrate One LUV. So more than 6,000 of AirTran’s 8,000 Employees live in Atlanta, and, of course, with our nonrevenue benefits, I’m hopeful and I’m confident that we’ll have a very large Southwest contingency on hand to celebrate. Culture is one of the most important things that we have at Southwest Airlines. And, of course, celebrating is just one way that we contribute to our Culture, so let’s all vow to protect it, and let’s all vow to nurture it as we would in our own Family. And, I encourage each of
you to take ownership of our Culture and do your part to make it stronger, and I know you will.

Wait, thanks to current economic conditions, how can GK afford a huge party in ATL? After pulling the extra money "off the table" for the AT guys, he now can pay for a huge pile of grits? Say what? Godspeed!

OYS

Dicko

The AIP was voted down because the majority of AirTran pilots thought it wasn't fair.
Uh, don't you mean to say the majority of your MEC? The pilots never got a chance to vote on it. Not saying that's a bad thing. Just trying to be accurate.

The MEC vote is part of the three step process for approval. It was stopped at step 2. I know some of you guys don't like it, however there are also plenty who respect the fact that we stuck to our values.
I'm not really sure what this has to do with values but I totally support your MEC voting it down. I am NOT one of the guys that is upset that YOUR MEC voted it down. Amazed? Yes! Stunned? Absolutely!!! Upset? No, I would say that I am giddy with joy. I'm almost as happy as a guy that was 59.999999 years old the day before the new rule took effect.

We respect GK and SWA. We don't believe that saying 'no thank you' to an offer shows disrespect or means that it's the bitter end of a great idea.
Time, and only time, will tell on that one. I am impressed. Good on you guys for "sticking to your values." I can't personally say if Gary Kelly feels you are being disrespectful by turning down HIS generous offer or if he feels "disrespected" because your MEC wouldn't grant him an extension. You guys are totally in the right to do so and I support your decision One Hundred and Ten percent. As I said before, Thank You Thank You THANK YOU!!!!

We believe that GK will honor the agreements and his word. Isn't that something that SWA prides itself on ?
I'm sure he will give it the same amount of honor he gave to us when he told us all he wanted for Xmas was gates at MDW. Might have to do a little research to get the gist of that comment.

Cable Guy,

From Gary
... Next, we’re going to celebrate Atlanta. We announced that we’ll be launching Southwest service to Atlanta last week, starting in February. It is very important, of course, to integrate all of our AirTran Family Members into the Southwest Family. We have a special party that’s planned in Atlanta in October to celebrate One LUV. So more than 6,000 of AirTran’s 8,000 Employees live in Atlanta, and, of course, with our nonrevenue benefits, I’m hopeful and I’m confident that we’ll have a very large Southwest contingency on hand to celebrate. Culture is one of the most important things that we have at Southwest Airlines. And, of course, celebrating is just one way that we contribute to our Culture, so let’s all vow to protect it, and let’s all vow to nurture it as we would in our own Family. And, I encourage each of you to take ownership of our Culture and do your part to make it stronger, and I know you will.
Since I and most other line rats don't attend these koolieventions I seriously doubt you'll see me in HOTlanta. Even in October. Know that my LUV is there in spirit and that I am ready, willing and able to extend the culture to you and your brethren once you take your rightful position at Soutwest as a REAL SOUTHWEST PILOT who starts at the bottom of the list as a new hire, makes it off probation and comes up through the ranks like your brethren that left the tranny before you and the 6000 others that are here now.

Remember, it's One Luv, Not WON LUV

Uh, don't you mean to say the majority of your MEC? The pilots never got a chance to vote on it. Not saying that's a bad thing. Just trying to be accurate.

I'm not really sure what this has to do with values but I totally support your MEC voting it down. I am NOT one of the guys that is upset that YOUR MEC voted it down. Amazed? Yes! Stunned? Absolutely!!! Upset? No, I would say that I am giddy with joy. I'm almost as happy as a guy that was 59.999999 years old the day before the new rule took effect.

Time, and only time, will tell on that one. I am impressed. Good on you guys for "sticking to your values." I can't personally say if Gary Kelly feels you are being disrespectful by turning down HIS generous offer or if he feels "disrespected" because your MEC wouldn't grant him an extension. You guys are totally in the right to do so and I support your decision One Hundred and

Ten percent. As I said before, Thank You Thank You THANK YOU!!!!

I'm sure he will give it the same amount of honor he gave to us when he told us all he wanted for Xmas was gates at MDW. Might have to do a little research to get the gist of that comment.

Cable Guy,

Since I and most other line rats don't attend these koolieventions I seriously doubt you'll see me in HOTlanta. Even in October. Know that my LUV is there in spirit and that I am ready, willing and able to extend the culture to you and your brethren once you take your rightful position at Soutwest as a REAL SOUTHWEST PILOT who starts at the bottom of the list as a new hire, makes it off probation and comes up through the ranks like your brethren that left the tranny before you and the 6000 others that are here now.

Remember, it's One Luv, Not WON LUV

Talk about Cocky! GK decided this merger was going to happen, not the AT pilots. You and they are just along for the ride. Looks like arbitration could decide where you ACTUALLY belong on the list, and it may be near the bottom. Get over yourselves! Won love? I love it! Godspeed, and you need it.

OYS

Latest resources

Back