Rejected Takeoffs CRJ900

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mesaba13

Listened to an informative recurrent ground school discussion concerning rejected takeoffs. Long and short was that generally speaking, there is no need to abort for amber cautions (even low speed). What are other pilots thoughts on this subject?

Listened to an informative recurrent ground school discussion concerning rejected takeoffs. Long and short was that generally speaking, there is no need to abort for amber cautions (even low speed). What are other pilots thoughts on this subject?

"If your talking about 80 knots to V1, I brief only engine failure, Fire or control malfunction" anything below 80 knots use your best judgement, which takes into account runway length, braking action etc. If the "ICE" caution comes on are you going to abort? especially in vmc conditions?

Might want to abort for REV UNLOCKED msg. Especially at low speed. I'm pretty sure thats amber.

Smoke.

not a CRJ thing but Flightsafety teaches "abort on any light" before V1 in the King Air

thats fine in sim-land but I am not blowing tires or smoking brakes, etc on a yellow/oran "BATT CHARGE LIGHT"

I brief red-light/emergency items only for abort. Anything else can be brought around the patch and dealt with

I have heard both theories... abort for any light and abort only for "Engine Failure, Fire or loss of Directional Control''

I have had many yellow lights on takeoff roll where I was able to read the light, react according (decide to continue) and safetly solve the issue in the air-and I fly single pilot in a Citation.

I think it all depends on the crew's confidence or also the companies SOP's...

Look in history and see how many accidents have happened with crews rejecting for something that could have easily been taken care of in the air, QRH/checklists, flown a traffic pattern, and landed back safely.

Really, the runways CRJ operators use are so long that it is bad technique to not abort for anything... if something is broken, don't fly.

Really, the runways CRJ operators use are so long that it is bad technique to not abort for anything... if something is broken, don't fly.

I'm sure the PSA crew that dragged it through the EMAS in KCRW would disagree with your technique.

Latest resources

Back