Rejected Takeoffs CRJ900

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"stay on the ground "

Remember also that of the abort incidents or accidents over half could have been avoided by continuing the takeoff.

I was talking about below 80 knots and the guidance was don't abort for any ambers. One amber I would probably not abort for is L or R THROTTLE because that engine power is not going to reduce when you pull the power levers back. Now you have assymetrical thrust with an engine stuck at takeoff power and one you pulled to idle. (Better to takeoff and handle that one in the air) PROX SYS is one that I would think a pilot would want to abort for becasue now you are manually extending the gear and you will have no indication of down.

Just wondering what other guys thought about this topic

And your company standards manual gives no guidance on this?!?!?!

WTF?!
:eek:

Sorry about bringing up this dead thread again.....

What's the correct term at your company?
For instance, I've heard "Rejected Takeoff", "Aborted Takeoff" and "Discontinued Takeoff". All terms seem to be interchangeable. I flew with a captain in a prior life at a different airline who went nuts if you used the word "ABORT" when you informed tower of the reject. His reasoning was that something about the word "abort" triggers an automatic phone call to the FAA by tower personnel. I guess he didn't want the FAA to know for whatever reason. He preferred "discontinued" when informing tower.

My manual says it's a "Rejected Takeoff", but the captain calls "Aborting".
There is nothing in my manual as to what verbiage the first officer uses when informing the tower of the RTO. It just say's to inform them.

Sorry about bringing up this dead thread again.....

What's the correct term at your company?
For instance, I've heard "Rejected Takeoff", "Aborted Takeoff" and "Discontinued Takeoff". All terms seem to be interchangeable. I flew with a captain in a prior life at a different airline who went nuts if you used the word "ABORT" when you informed tower of the reject. His reasoning was that something about the word "abort" triggers an automatic phone call to the FAA by tower personnel. I guess he didn't want the FAA to know for whatever reason. He preferred "discontinued" when informing tower.

My manual says it's a "Rejected Takeoff", but the captain calls "Aborting".
There is nothing in my manual as to what verbiage the first officer uses when informing the tower of the RTO. It just say's to inform them.

Us whatever verbage you want as long as you stop the friggin' plane

My understanding is that anytime an aircraft takes the runway, but doesn't takeoff, it's considered an "abort takeoff." All aborts are reported to the FAA, even if an aircraft is cleared into position and hold and then instructed to exit the runway.

I'll abort when I'm god damned good and ready! You got that!

Anything above 80 knots is very critical and an abort should always be executed for anything happening above that speed.

Latest resources

Back