• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Rejected Takeoffs CRJ900

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was talking about below 80 knots and the guidance was don't abort for any ambers. One amber I would probably not abort for is L or R THROTTLE because that engine power is not going to reduce when you pull the power levers back. Now you have assymetrical thrust with an engine stuck at takeoff power and one you pulled to idle. (Better to takeoff and handle that one in the air) PROX SYS is one that I would think a pilot would want to abort for becasue now you are manually extending the gear and you will have no indication of down.

Just wondering what other guys thought about this topic

It has been a several years since I have flown a CRJ but in the 700/900 series I seem to recall the DCU inhibiting caution messages during the takeoff and landing phase of flight. I believe there were 3 conditions: below 100 kts, above 100 knots and below 400' AGL +30 seconds for each condition certain EICAS messages were inhibited leaving only the messages the engineers thought important to the safety of the flight. There is a good chance you won't see the malfunction until you're airborne anyway. What those messages are I don't recall.

Really, the runways CRJ operators use are so long that it is bad technique to not abort for anything... if something is broken, don't fly.

Your logic is flawed. Either way I guess you haven't flown in and out of BUR, SNA and JAC.

Fly as you brief, brief as you train, train as The Man dictates.

Prior to 80kts, I'm stopping for any abnormality. From 80kts to V1, only for an engine fire, failure, red warning item or loss of directional control. After V1, we'll take the airplane flying and figure it out then.

I often hear the classroom scenario of "Well, what if you get a brake caution at 70kts, will you abort then?"

Yes, I will.

I'm not going to take the time to see/hear the caution, look at the annunicator/message, process its severity and THEN decide to stop or go - even a proficient pilot has just wasted 5-10kts and now you're fully in the high-speed regime where stopping for what WAS a low-speed caution message ain't going to be in anybody's best interest.

YMMV, caveat emptor, etc...

CA1900 said:
I'm sure the PSA crew that dragged it through the EMAS in KCRW would disagree with your technique.

A textbook example of why you don't go changing flap settings in the middle of your takeoff roll! :eek:

So, you wouldn't abort for a ANTISKID FAIL at 5 kts?

-What about a MACH TRIM at 20 knots,
-How about a Lav Smoke at 82 Knots?

-Not all yellows are minor-not all reds are a huge deal.

-There really are no hard-and-fast rules, obviously-you shouldn't continue takeoff if you discover you have a possible Lav or Cargo fire at 60knots.

-I think some mgmt types are really setting you all up by coming up with a rule like this!

As someone else said, reverser unlock is a caution. I don't know anyone AFTER 80 knots that will not abort for that, let alone before.

Fly as you brief, brief as you train, train as The Man dictates.

Prior to 80kts, I'm stopping for any abnormality. From 80kts to V1, only for an engine fire, failure, red warning item or loss of directional control. After V1, we'll take the airplane flying and figure it out then.

I often hear the classroom scenario of "Well, what if you get a brake caution at 70kts, will you abort then?"

Yes, I will.

I'm not going to take the time to see/hear the caution, look at the annunicator/message, process its severity and THEN decide to stop or go - even a proficient pilot has just wasted 5-10kts and now you're fully in the high-speed regime where stopping for what WAS a low-speed caution message ain't going to be in anybody's best interest.

YMMV, caveat emptor, etc...
+1. Hard to Monday-morning quarterback a guy when he follows SOP.

+1. Hard to Monday-morning quarterback a guy when he follows SOP.

Actually it's quite simple, you just have to be in management. It's happened numerous times. the "it was nothing, why didn't you bring it back to the hub for repairs?" after the fact happens much more than it should. Followed by the FAA response of " Why didn't you land at nearest suitable?" Just after having been asked by management why you didn't land at a maintenance base..... Safety, Sensability, Smarts, All are spelled starting with a $ in this industry.

How about BRAKE OVHT Warning Message at a high speed (well in excess of 80 KIAS) with ice contaminant on the runway. Let's make the runway short too.

Latest resources

Back